FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody used the Smokenator?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hickorynut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 07 3:06 am    Post subject: Anybody used the Smokenator? Reply with quote

I'm ready to take the first step towards real backyard q. Debating whether to go with the trusty Weber kettle + the Smokenator advertised on the Ring or a WSM. I like the efficiency of option #1, as adding the second grate provides lots of cooking area. I don't envision needing to smoke for a big crowd (well, on second thought, using some of the advice from this formu, I might get really good at this and word will travel...). Any feedback on the Smokenator would be appreciated. Thanks.
98 Red Kettle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 07 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it a few times. Made some spares and turkey legs. It's not any easier to maintain 250 - 275 than using the Weber set up for indirect cooking. I'm sure the baffle protects the meat from radiant heat better than plain old indirect set up. The initial load is pretty labor intensive, cramming charcoal/lump and chunks in the "fire cavity." Beyond that, it seems like a serviceable accessory.

Livin' in fear is just another way of dyin' before your time.
rikus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04 08 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one for my Weber and I am still getting used to it, the temp for me has yet to keep itself at the sweet spot as Don mentions in his manual. I know he put a lot of work into the product and the instructions. I'm sure after a few cooks using it I will have better results!

I am interested in trying a brisket on it but I am so weary!
98 Red Kettle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05 08 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months back, I did a brisket using my kettle and smokenator and it came out pretty good.

Livin' in fear is just another way of dyin' before your time.
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05 08 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does a decent job, but much easier on a WSM!! Wink
rikus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11 08 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've made BB's and spares, the spares came out far better since I let them cook for a full 6 hours using 3-2-1. At the same time as the spares I did a butt, unfortunately I had it on the lower chamber which was far lower in temp than the cooking chamber so it was a loss.

My main problem is that I'd like to make a good butt, I did another one yesterday it was only 4 pounds but after 6 1/2 hours it was not at the right temp. The next time I try butt I will simply go off the probe temp.

I am half tempted to get a WSM since I have small space in my backyard of my condo. I like this device but it takes a lot of homework to master it.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12 08 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikus wrote:
So far I've made BB's and spares, the spares came out far better since I let them cook for a full 6 hours using 3-2-1. At the same time as the spares I did a butt, unfortunately I had it on the lower chamber which was far lower in temp than the cooking chamber so it was a loss.

My main problem is that I'd like to make a good butt, I did another one yesterday it was only 4 pounds but after 6 1/2 hours it was not at the right temp. The next time I try butt I will simply go off the probe temp.

I am half tempted to get a WSM since I have small space in my backyard of my condo. I like this device but it takes a lot of homework to master it.

Get a WSM, you'll never look back. I've got two and I wouldn't trade them for anything. As close to set it and forget it as you're gonna get for that price.

Bruce

Secretary, Great Lakes BBQ Association
Member, Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced Comp BBQ team
KCBS/CBJ #55356
22 1/2" WSM
2 18 1/2" WSM's
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
SPLITFISH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09 09 3:32 am    Post subject: Smokenator Reply with quote

I purchased one and after a few practice runs I have it down pretty good. I made a butt this past weekend using the 4-1-1 method and it turned out fantastic. I do not use mine exactly as directed. I keep the dome temp around 300 and the cooking grate is at 250. It pays to purchase good thermometers when your going to spend so much time on it. I cooked butts and ribs with just the weber using indirect cooking, and the smokenator definitly made a difference. I think the water pan helps a great deal. One day when I have more space and money I may upgrade to the wsm, but for now the smokenator does the trick.
vermin99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09 09 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried mine for the first time last weekend. I just read the manual a couple of times and dove in. I had a little bit of a hard time maintaining a low temp according to the directions. Nothing to panic about though, it kept creeping toward 250 but eventually got it where I wanted it. The ribs I made doing the 3,2,1 method were really good but they were fall of the bone done. The Hover grate comes in real handy too. I have used it a few times to get more real estate when grilling.
Weber Q100 for camping
Near future: UDS
Jasper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09 09 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got one recently and used it for the first time last weekend. I smoked some rubbed pork loin and a stuffed pork loin. Both turned out great. Pretty much followed the directions in the manual and the video on YouTube. I'm looking to get the Hover Grill for lots of rib cooking. I'll be smoking a turkey soon too! Just have to figure out a recipe first and whether to brine or not to brine.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09 09 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper wrote:
I also got one recently and used it for the first time last weekend. I smoked some rubbed pork loin and a stuffed pork loin. Both turned out great. Pretty much followed the directions in the manual and the video on YouTube. I'm looking to get the Hover Grill for lots of rib cooking. I'll be smoking a turkey soon too! Just have to figure out a recipe first and whether to brine or not to brine.

http://www.smokinbluesbbq.com/Turkey.html

I have a recipe here and use it every year to smoke turkeys, always turn out great.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: