FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish Smoked Sausage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seminole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 05 1:51 pm    Post subject: Polish Smoked Sausage Reply with quote

There is so much misunderstanding about definition of Polish Sausage that I would like to uncover some of the mystery...
People in Poland are not going to say "sausage" - they are going to say "Kielbasa". There is not one universal sausage (kielbasa) - I have a list of 55 different sausages made in Poland so which one are we talking about ? We are talking about Polish Smoked Sausage (Polska Kielbasa Wedzona) and a poor imitation of this sausage can be found in every supermarket in the USA.
What we see here in supermarkets has NOTHING to do with the real polish sausage. It is embarassing to look at the ingredients list. Let me clarify a few points :

1. The Polish Sausage is made entirely of pork . There are sausages like "Mysliwska" (Hunter's sausage) that are made with pork and beef, nevertheless the traditional Polish Smoked Sausage is made of pork and the following : salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and majoram. Majoram could be eliminated but garlic has to stay.
This is how this sausage was supposed to be made as recommended by the Polish Government in 1958. Yes, the way meat products were made (especially ones for export) was regulated by the Government, down to the last technical detail.
2. It comes in two versions :
a. Fresh sausage
b. Smoked sausage - this is the Polish Smoked Sausage (Polska Kielbasa Wedzona) that everybody eats in Poland.
To buy real stuff you have to live in New York or Chicago where it can be obtained in meat stores located in Polish neighborhoods. It becomes harder to buy it even in Poland as the present meat industry in order to stay competetive is following american production standards (lower costs and lower quality) and includes the never ending list of chemicals. The final effect is product that resembles the original sausage in name only and not in quality.
Polish Smoked Sausage is made from ingredients mentioned above plus sodium nitrite (you don't smoke anything without sodium nitrite). Frankly speaking I don't understand why our FDA hates so much use of potassium nitrate - in Poland they have used it for ages and it is still in use today. And nobody dies. After all, both of them are very powerful poisons Smile
3. It is stuffed into large casing : about 38 mmm.
4. It has to be smoked (hot smoke) for 2 - 3 hours, this is the only way to get the proper flavor and color and believe me : liquid smoke does not do the trick.
Recommended way is to cold smoke it for 1 to 1.5 days but that will be done probably only by the most demanding purists. Besides, unless you live up North, it is not easy to generate cold smoke.

Rytek Kutas in his book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" got it almost right, except for "soy protein concentrate" (it has no room in a decent sausage - if you want the highest quality). We are not talking profits here - we are talking the best quality one can get. Anything besides pork, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and majoram has no right to be there. Though of Polish parents, I don't believe he was ever in Poland himself as he misspells almost every Polish sausage name he writes about. Otherwise it is the best english book to learn the art of sausage making.

You can of course add anything you like to your sausage but it will not be Polish Smoked Sausage (Polska Kielbasa Wedzona) anymore. Come up with your own name.

A little curiosity : In Poland to obtain the highest quality possible, the meat to be used for sausages is first cut into about 2 inches pieces and then pickled in brine solution (salt plus some sodium nitrite)
for about 48 - 72 hours. After that : Grinding, mixing, stuffing, smoking according to established rules. A commercial sausage factory can not find room, time or money to pickle meat for 48 hours
before it goes into the grinder.
All these little details, call them tricks of trade if you will, separate super quality product from its commercial version. That is why a home based sausage maker, having necessary technical knowledge will always make a better sausage than his commercial counterpart as he has all time in the world to do it well Smile
VitaminX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 05 3:16 pm    Post subject: polish sausage Reply with quote

well, nice quality sausage is hard to find these days. modern day sausages overuse spices, undersmoke and underdry.

here is recipe for original polish sausage:

4 kg lean pork meat
6 kg faty pork meat

(please note that recipe is not asking for pork and backfat/bacon but lean and faty pork).

28 grams salt
2 grams sugar
1,5 gr black pepper
0,5 gr marjoram
0,5 - 1,5 grams garlic (optional)

half a salt and sugar add to meat (cut to pieces), mix and let sit in cold place for 3 days.
after 3 days, grind and add rest of salt and spices and mix until meat is compact (30 minutes - 60 minutes).
stuff into hog casings cal. 35-48 mm, and tie on 40 cm lenght.
hang for 2-12 days in cold room at 2-6C (that's why they make their stuff in october and november). relative humidity is to be 85-90%.
after initial drying smoke on weak and cold (12-14C) for 36 hours.
hang to dry/age 15-60 days with rh of 70%, or until sausage lose 35-40% of it's weight.

that's it.

you're wrong - original polish sausage recipe do not ask for nitrite. government asked nitrates to be added becouse west wouldn't buy it without.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 05 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea they were so different. Reminds me of back in the 80's when Bratwurst was suddenly getting popular (at least here in KC). The only way to get real Bratwurst was to have someone go out of state to get it. All the Brats in the local stores at that time were not even close to the real deal. Nowadays the demand is large enough for the real thing that they are in every store.

I wouldn't mind trying this stuff sometime. I love smoked kielbasa, but I have probably never had the real stuff. I have always used the Eckrich type stuff. Whatever that stuff is really called, it is GOOD when smoked until it has a crispy black skin!
VitaminX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodogie,
bratwurst is a fake. product is advertised as "genuine" sausage eaten on October fest celebrations in Germany. in the matter of fact, bratwurst is a child of us meat producers.

the real stuff that's eaten on october fest is called "debreciner". debrecin is a city in hungary, but "debreciner" is original german sausage based on old hungarian recipe.

here's how you make it for yourself:

10 kg pork meat (shoulder and but) 60-70% lean
4 dkg white pepper
3 dkg red paper
12 dkg salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 grated lemon skin
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
2,5 dcl cold (icy) water

Meat is not grinded but rather choped with cleaver (or if you have a chopper chop it for about 15-25 sec. on slow), add salt, spices and water and fill into cal.35 mm hog casings.
hang and dry on cold for 1 day.
Hang into smokehouse and smoke on medium cold smoke until sausages get a color you're satisfied with (2-15 days).
Debreciner is smoked this way: apply medium smoke for 6 hours, and let it stay in smokehouse for a rest of a day (18 hours). Repet this for as many days of smoking you desire.

when you try those, you'll know...
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm beginning to think every sausage I have ever had was not the real deal. I'm going to start making my own, but I'm still getting the equipment together. I figure I'll be making sausages during the winter months.

I have a question about the polish sausage recipe you gave. You said:
Quote:
4 kg lean pork meat
6 kg faty pork meat

(please note that recipe is not asking for pork and backfat/bacon but lean and faty pork).

Does that mean I should use 4 kg of something like pork tenderloin and 6 kg of pork shoulder? Am I understanding that correctly?
VitaminX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodoggy,
that depends of how your butcher cut's the animal. For now, just ask him to give you 90% lean pork and 60-70% pork chucks - he'll know what you mean.
Later, if you go deeper into sausage making art, you'll pay for animals to be rised for you on a hog farm of a good reputation. You'll also be able to order HOW your animals are to be cut.
For now, just go to your butcher and ask for 90% and 60-70% lean pork.
RKB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bratwurst is most definitely NOT a fake. Every region of Germany has its own version of the sausage, and during my extensive travels in Germany I've had most of them. What IS a fake is the stuff sold in most American markets labeled as bratwurst. If it ain't white, it ain't a brat. "Brat" is German for "roast" - the meat is cooked before making the sausage. Any fresh-meat sausage you see labeled as 'bratwurst' is more properly termed 'mettwurst'. Some of them are fine tasting sausage - but they are not brats.
Bill
P.S. - brats are indeed eaten at Oktoberfest in Germany, along with many other types.
VitaminX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKB,

ok, you're talking about cooked sausage. indeed, as far as i know, about 1862 butcher with name Michael Gottschalk came with cooked sausage that was used to be fried over charkoal. soon, sausage was hit in bavaria and all over the germanu. that could be father of a bratwurst, but itself is not bratwurst. bratwurst, as we know it, was born arround 1920 when Joe Spatt (Inn owner) started started to sell sendwich with the sausage insade. Bratwurst was born.
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 05 11:03 pm    Post subject: recipe Reply with quote

Polish Kielbasa

As for the Polish kiełbasa, a typical recipe can be found below. It looks
quite similar
to how we would do it in the States, but it was given to me by a true
Polish woman.

The authenticity is secure : > ))

Ingredients:

9 kg of pork
1 kg of lean beef
230 g of salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
150 g of black pepper
6 gloves of garlic
some mustard seeds - suggested 1/2 cup

Put meat and other ingredients in meat processor (use the seep with large holes). If meat looks too lean, you may add 1 kg of lard, cut in very small pieces. Mix everything very well and put in a cool place to store for the
night.
On the second day, pipe into thin intestines and smoke. Good smoking of the kiełbasa is essential!

Total prep and cook time (together with smoking) - 5 hrs

Let me know how it works out and if you need any clarification!
jerrykr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 07 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all, for the very interesting reading.

lots to learn here.

cheers.

-=- Jerry -=-
texacali smoke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02 07 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know anything about Mortons Tender Quick, or pink salts for sausage making. I used to use pink salt to cure pork belly and make bacon and one of the fancy restaurants I worked in with a German Chef. Should I be using the same stuff to make a Texas/German style beef sausage.

Thanks,
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 10 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I grew up there was a sausage that had the course texture of what we now call hot links but weren't hot. You could boil them until they popped or you can get sprayed with juice during your first bite.

I sure miss those. All they have around here is spicy and I can't do spicy... Sad
Seminole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soapm

There are two Polish sausages that fit your description.

Polish Sausage Links
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/sausage-links-polish
Serdelki
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/serdelki

This Polish site has been completely revised and a new version became operational a few days ago.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes
bamzxz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17 10 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recipe handed down 4 generations(1 generation before my relatives moved here from Poland) for real Polish kielbasa. My family makes it every year before Christmas and at Easter time. It does not include grinding.

Pork shoulder is de-boned and hand cut into cubes, retaining a decent amount of fat so that the kielbasa is not too dry. Ingredients are hand mixed and then stuffed into real pork casings.

We boil them for about 90 minutes and serve. they are very good if you chill them and slice into bite sizes for crackers. Horseradish and homemade ketchup round it out nicely.

Today I will be smoking 5-6 12" links, I will let you know how they turn out.
bamzxz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 10 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my Polish Sausage on the smoker with some chicken and potatoes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: