FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Sirloin Tip (Whole) any experiences??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoss5355

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 3:22 am    Post subject: Beef Sirloin Tip (Whole) any experiences?? Reply with quote

The wife just said that she bought a Beef Sirloin Tip (Whole), that was on sale because she thought it looked like a piece of meat that I would throw on the smoker. (Can't complain about her looking out for me..) I guess it is about a 10 lb piece, but I have no idea what I should do with it.

Is this the same as what they call a Tri-Tip and should I cook this like I do my brisket. I'm thinking about putting some bacon on it to keep it from drying out, but I'm thinking that I won't want to cook it to as high of a temperature. I guess when I hear sirloin, I'm thinking steak, which is Rare to Medium Rare for me...What kind of temp should I look for here..145 range, and slice it? I haven't got to see it yet, but from reading online, I don't see a whole lot of recipes hanging out there except for roasting it in the oven. Thanks in advance,

Kevin
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I'd grind it up and make chili.

Ummmm.....even better maybe..... Smoke it for about an hour then grind it for chili...... mmmmmm smoky chili. Very Happy

Other than that I don't see why maybe cooking it over a higher heat with a little smoke wouldn't work. It would be like roasting it but would give it a nice smokey flavor without drying it out.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dave I think posted a killer looking recipe awhile back, I believe it was for sirloin tip, that he smoked, sliced thin, and then dunked in a homemade "au jus" made w/ onion soup mix for drip beef sammiches. I'll hunt around and see if I can find it....the memory ain't what it used to be. Wink If he's lurkin', maybe he can help.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
Old Dave I think posted a killer looking recipe awhile back, I believe it was for sirloin tip, that he smoked, sliced thin, and then dunked in a homemade "au jus" made w/ onion soup mix for drip beef sammiches. I'll hunt around and see if I can find it....the memory ain't what it used to be. Wink If he's lurkin', maybe he can help.

Here's the link to that post by Old Dave. He uses round instead of sirloin, but I bet that sirloin would work well too.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7063&highlight=drip+beef
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow Cooked Beef Sirloin Steak

Beef, beef, beef, beef, I love beef. Every now and then the wife brings home steak and wants me to cook it rare. Well, I like my steaks medium rare to medium and have learned to cook it that way, but she doesn’t like medium rare steaks. It seems that steaks cooked at a high temperature (like other types of meat) continue to cook on the table while resting. In order for me to pull the steaks to her liking, I have to wait until mine is done. The cure to this dilemma is slow cooked / smoked steaks. She gets the rare texture she likes and I can get the smoky flavor and doneness I like by putting mine on a hotter part of the grates.

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. Cilantro
2 Tbsp. Kansas City Steak Rub ( a mixture of salt, garlic, bell pepper, fennel, and sugar.)
1 Bottle of Garlic Vinaigrette (you will not use all of it)

We start by mixing the dry ingredients together and rubbing on the meat.

Once you have covered the meat, lightly sprinkle with the garlic vinaigrette until well covered.

The vinaigrette will act as a binder for the dry rub and give the meat some extra moisture while cooking. Because we are cooking this at a lower temperature (275 degrees) than normal grilling, the oil in the mix will allow a better transfer of heat to the meat. If you were to cook this without the added oil, it would just take longer to cook and the consistency of the meat would be slightly different.

Place the meat in preheated smoker at 275 degrees and cook until the desired doneness is achieved. For medium rare, it took about 1 hour to cook, flipping once.

As I said, the meat came out just like everyone liked. My wife got the nice pink meat she likes and I got my smoky flavor. You can see how juicy the steak was and you could almost cut it with a fork.

Hoss5355

PostPosted: Thu May 03 07 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the ideas...After seeing the chunk of beef, it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. I'm going to try to smoke it on a hotter fire, and then slice it thin. Should make some real good sandwiches. Might even try one for my sisters graduation party in a few weeks. For 1.99 a lb, seems like a decent deal. Should beat the 5.00 a lb lunch meat they sell.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 25 07 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beef Sirloin Tip (Whole) any experiences?? Reply with quote

Hoss5355 wrote:
The wife just said that she bought a Beef Sirloin Tip (Whole), that was on sale because she thought it looked like a piece of meat that I would throw on the smoker. (Can't complain about her looking out for me..) I guess it is about a 10 lb piece, but I have no idea what I should do with it.
Kevin

It's hard to get a whole sirloin tip roast because they are cutting them up for steaks and getting $$$. What I do is rub it down with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper and leave it in the frig overnight. Next day I get the smoker up to 275-300*f take the roast straight from the frig to the smoker and cook it to 130*f internal, let rest and slice. It has the texture and taste of steak for less than half the price. I'm having some for dinner tonight, it makes great sandwiches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: