FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anybody use a chargriller?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvmyc50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 05 9:30 pm    Post subject: anybody use a chargriller? Reply with quote

im considering a chargriller super pro at the local lowes. does anybody have one and does it work well? I have a brinkmann water smoker and looking to go the next step in size and ability. thanks.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 05 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Char Griller Super Pro w/sfb for Father's Day. It is a great vesatile cooker. There are threads on www.barbeuebible.com and www.homebbq.com that detail the modifications others have made to make them even better. Tons of fun, great food, a culinary challenge and all for less than 2 bills.

Enjoy
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 05 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use and it works great. You have to make some of the mods though. Extending the smokestack and moving the thermometer are crucial. you can skip intalling the baffle if you want. I just turn the charcoal pit upside down and set it on the highest setting...works great as a baffle.

I cooked my first brisket (I'm normally a pork guy) a couple of weeks ago. Here are some pics.

brisket done

brisket cut

Goes to show you that you don't have to spend a fortune to do good Q.
Chubbs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 05 9:31 pm    Post subject: Chargriller Reply with quote

I have a chargriller pro as well. I like it. I use it without any modifications and it works well. However, after seeing the modifications, I am going to try them and make my pit work better.

The chargriller in my opinion is a very good pit for the money and a good one to start out on.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 05 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild, that is one tasty looking brisket! Twisted Evil
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 05 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PDX. It was my very first one and turned out great. I'm doing another one this weekend. My wife is drooling for it...I hope I didn't set the bar too high for myself. Rolling Eyes
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the same smoker. I saw the mod with the internal smokestack, gonna try it!

Couldn't locate any other mods in particular. Any suggestions where to look?

GO VOLS!
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas P. wrote:
I'm using the same smoker. I saw the mod with the internal smokestack, gonna try it!

Couldn't locate any other mods in particular. Any suggestions where to look?

Thomas- I sent you a PM
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 05 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a chargriller pro griller. It is my first smoker and I think it works great. I haven't tried the mods. Does the baffle really work at evening out the heat? That's the only problem I have with my smoker.

Thanks

EAT Q

Doc
jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08 05 11:28 pm    Post subject: Chargriller Reply with quote

I've been using a chargiller for about 3 years now. I love the versatility and the overall quality for it's price. I've done just about everything on it except a small whole hog (my wife hates the thought of looking at it's face while it's cooking, and even more about taking meat off of it while it's looking at her). It sure is too bad that that Chargriller doesn't make an even better "step-up" grill. The market is wide open for the next step before a custom/semi custom model. And there is such a gap between the price range. It seems that you go from $200 for a grill like the Chargriller Pro with a side fire box, then you skip all the way up to $700 and higher.

Anyways, my only beef (no offense towards the pig cookers out there) is that being from Michigan, it is hard to use outdoors all year round, since the metal is so thin. The colder it is outside, the harder it is to maintain and control temperature.

I am working on a homebuilt custom smoker now, and I plan to keep the Chargriller for summer picnics at home, and it will be the smoker my young son learns to smoke on.

Best of luck, and Grill On!

Jim
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09 05 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Jim. I live in an apt. now. But when I get my house I'll want to move up a step and there is nothing really in the next price range. At least that I've seen so far. If you find a good one between $300 - $500, throw a post up.

EAT Q

Doc
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10 05 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc1680 wrote:
I use a chargriller pro griller. It is my first smoker and I think it works great. I haven't tried the mods. Does the baffle really work at evening out the heat? That's the only problem I have with my smoker.

Doc, you should definately extend the smokestack, IMO. You'll be amazed how it more evenly distributes the heat and smoke. I added a thermometer at grate level, too, which helps. As I stated in an earlier post, I skipped the baffle mod because I use it to grill some as well. I do turn the charcoal holder upside down and put it on the highest setting. This acts as a baffle and helpes to distribute the heat.

Hog
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with this baffle thing...

are you saying that if I raise my charcoal grate inside the barrell to the highest setting, it distributes heat better?

GO VOLS!
tim_a

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29 05 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I would like to say hello. I just happened upon this site looking for info on my new Chargriller with sfb. I have already seasoned it and am smoking some ribs as I type. I saw there were some links to mods for this smoker and I was wondering if anyone had a direct link to the mods. I seem to be having some trouble getting the heat over 175 degrees. I am curious if this is due to the placement of the thermometer. Anyway, looks like you guys have a great forum here and I will probably be spending much time here as I am new to the whole smoking lifestyle.
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04 05 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas P. wrote:
So with this baffle thing...

are you saying that if I raise my charcoal grate inside the barrell to the highest setting, it distributes heat better?

Sorry Tom, I haven't been around in a while. Yes, but turn the charcoal grate upside down. It definatly makes a difference.

Tim- Send me a PM with your email address. I've got a .pdf from a guy from another site.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07 05 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HOG. Haven't checked this thread in a while.

I finally smoked with some small mods made to my smoker. I did flip the coal grate upside down and hung it from the highest rung. I also extended my stack down into the chamber about 4 - 5". I have to remove the top shelf, but the extention is removable so when I grill in the chamber, I can reverse all the mods easily. This, by far was my best smoke in terms of temp control. I have also ditched the SFB coal grate. I use an adjustable one I got from the hardware store. It sits nicely on two bolts that conveniently come into the SFB and the lips that the coal tray slide under. Thus raising the coals up in the box. This does 2 things. 1) it allows more air to get under the coals. 2) it lets the coal tray serve as it really should, as a ash tray. Now all i do is pull and dump. The coals stay inside up on the new grate. Super easy now. I feel that with these small, and easily reversible mods, my CG is a great smoker. Try them and let me know how they work.

Doc
ohman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07 05 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc1680 wrote:
Thanks HOG. Haven't checked this thread in a while.

I did flip the coal grate upside down and hung it from the highest rung. .

You know that could be my problem. I had mine upside down but I just set it on the bottom of the smoker. I sometimes need to keep a pretty hot fire in my firebox to keep the smoker up to temp. I am thinking that maybe the heat was trapped in the baffle.....Any thoughts on this?
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07 05 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohman,

I would think with your grate on the bottom that you would have a hard time keeping your temp down. I can't see how the heat would get trapped in that small of space.

Doc
ohman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 05 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc1680 wrote:
ohman,

I would think with your grate on the bottom that you would have a hard time keeping your temp down. I can't see how the heat would get trapped in that small of space.

Well I am going to give it a try with it raised and see how it goes, BTW Doc1680 where in Indy are you? I was raised in Brownsburg.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah give it a try. i think you'll like the results. Don't forget to seal off the gap with some foil. if you don't you'll still have the hot spot on that end. Also if you have a couple of oven therms. place them on either end of your cooking grate. compare them to each other and the therm on top. you shouldn't see more than a 5 degree difference.

it's nice to see another hoosier. i'm on the west side by the eagle creek airport. it seems that we don't get much love in the bbq world. hopefully we can change that.

good luck with your Q

Doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: