FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wish me luck, biggest smoke ever for me next Thursday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mucksbbq

PostPosted: Apr 21 2007    Post subject: Wish me luck, biggest smoke ever for me next Thursday Reply with quote

Wish me luck guys, about this time next Thursday, I'll be loading up the FAT 50 with 220 lbs of Pork Butt for my coworkers. The most I've ever done before is about 90 lbs of shoulder. We have a week to recognize the staff and for years we've been having Sonny's cater. I finally said, that's dumb...let me cook (Famous last words, huh). I'm a little scared, but very excited, if this goes well I may start doing a little catering.

I'll post pics next week.

Keep me in your prayers.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Apr 21 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Very Happy

Shouldn't be to difficult to produce better results than Sonny's! Wink
mucksbbq

My thoughts exactly. I know you do a lot of big cooks, any advice you are willing to share?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

Sure, what would you like to know? Very Happy

220 pounds of pork butt should turn into about 110 pounds (maybe a little more) of finished pulled pork. That in turn will be enough for 330 5 oz. pork sammies.

How long have you had the Fat 50? I know they cook real well, so you should be all set! Very Happy
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

You'll do fine mucksbbq. From what I've seen that Fat 50 turns out some nice Q. Your fellow workers will love it even more since you're doing it for them. Let us know how it comes out.

Doc
mucksbbq

I've had the FAT 50 for about 9 months. I guess my biggest question is how much more time should I allow for cooking so much. 12 butts on this smoker took about 9-10 hrs to get to 195-200 internal. I'm going to be cooking 29-32 next Thursday. I've cooked in all sorts of weather, so I know how to account for that. But that increase in "meat mass" is something I've never experienced before, so that has me a little worried.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

Temp is temp, regardless of the quantity of meat. It may take a slightly bigger fire to reach your target smoker temp, but otherwise cook like you normally would. I cook slightly higher temps than some. 250' is good by me, even a spike or two to 275' is never a worry.

I generally shoot for getting pork butts done two hours early, then throttle back a bit. Better early than late! Very Happy
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

BBQMAN wrote:
Good luck! Very Happy

Shouldn't be to difficult to produce better results than Sonny's! Wink

Yup...wasnt really impressed with their Q
mucksbbq

BBQMAN wrote:
Temp is temp, regardless of the quantity of meat. It may take a slightly bigger fire to reach your target smoker temp, but otherwise cook like you normally would. I cook slightly higher temps than some. 250' is good by me, even a spike or two to 275' is never a worry.

I generally shoot for getting pork butts done two hours early, then throttle back a bit. Better early than late! Very Happy

Yeah, I'm shooting to get done by 8 am. So, I guess I should plan on taking some "safety" fuel just to make sure.

Thanks everyone, keep any little hints coming.

I'll post pics next week
Biggitybakes

How about a pic of a "Fat 50" Im looking to buy a new cooker and need all the info I can get.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

it is always easier to have food ready before your target time, then to be running late and try to get it done quicker.
you can always lower your temp to 140'ish for holding.

Everyone rips on sonny's. I agree it is not the best , or even in the top 20, but out of the 5 or 6 times I have eaten at Sonny's (BBQ emergency situation) it has always been consistent! no matter which restaurant I have been to. (I have heard horror stories from the Gainesville location though.)
You got to give them credit for that!
Consistency is paramount in any restaurant, even if it is just mediocre, because some people see mediocre as good.

I wish you the best of conditions for you gig, Luck has nothing to do with it!
it is all talent, and if you are confident enough to take this gig, you got the talent! So use it!!!
Three Wise Guys

PostPosted: Apr 22 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mucks....the main thing that i forgot the first time I did a larger than normal party that you should remember is bring plenty of cooler so that multiple butts can rest in each one....I don't go anywhere for a big cook now without my (3) 150 qt coolers so that all the meat can rest in a dry environment.
mucksbbq

PostPosted: Apr 27 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics. Had to change plans due to the weather. More details later.

GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

^^^^^^^^Holy crap that is going to be some good eats!

Tipsy Pig BBQ and Brewery
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

I hope you brought your "Pork Pullin Shoes". Looks great, got to have some final photos.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

Lewis & Herschel wrote:
I hope you brought your "Pork Pullin Shoes". Looks great, got to have some final photos.

Yea, that is the only thing I have to say....Give yourself PLENTY of time to pull. Be supprised how long it takes. That is IF you want to be sure to remove ALL the fat that did not cook out. Some people don't bother to do that and just shred it but who wants to be eatin' a nice pork sammie and get a mouthful of greasy fat???
mucksbbq

PostPosted: Apr 28 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back in from the event. Was able to pull a few by hand, but due to time contraints, most of it was chopped with a Hobart. Turned out great, but we made WAY too much. Coworkers were very pleased. Will post more pics later, gotta take a nap now. Very Happy
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

mucksbbq wrote:
Just got back in from the event. Was able to pull a few by hand, but due to time contraints, most of it was chopped with a Hobart. Turned out great, but we made WAY too much. Coworkers were very pleased. Will post more pics later, gotta take a nap now. Very Happy

Yea, you never said how many co-workers you were cooking for... Laughing Laughing How many were there???
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

You have some very lucky coworkers! I've never done a big cook, but I'm interested in how everything goes.

Joe
mucksbbq

marvsbbq wrote:
mucksbbq wrote:

Yea, you never said how many co-workers you were cooking for... Laughing Laughing How many were there???

We have about 190 employees on two shifts. Probably only 160 were at work today.

Ended up costing about $500 for everything. Most of that was supplies and sauce (I made 5 varieties). At the border of NC/SC you have folks that want pretty much every type of sauce there is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: