FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfoxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 9:34 am    Post subject: Brisket Reply with quote

Can someone suggest some temperatures for using foil on a Brisket? I have read and been told that you should foil in the last 2-3 hours, but how about internal temps? Time and temperature are not the same thing, and I'll be needing the temps for sure.
Masterbuilt Smokehouse
Weber 22.5 Kettle
BBQ Grillware Propane Grill w/Rotisserie
Sagaform Bucket Grill
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now you did it, Guy's will be ranting all over here about 1-2 degree's.
Just kid'n for me I like to wrap at 180. some guy's go earlier some go higher. Some just put in a foil pan with juices. It's really up to you.
If there was one way to do it everyone would be doing the same way and it would get boring. Have fun try what you fell comfortable with.

Use a digital probe and all is good

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap at 165 or when the color looks just right. I wrap it in foil and continue cooking until a toothpick goes in fairly easy. That can happen anywhere from 195-220...or maybe never. Then I let it rest for an hour or two before slicing at about 150 degrees.

GIANT BBQ
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap at 165 also, and go till at least 195. The hottest temp I ever let a brisket get to was 206 when my wife had me doing errands. It was fall apart tender at that temp. Tasted very good, just couldn't slice it at all.
DaHorns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much with Zilla, except I foil at 160*. Other than that, pretty much the same.
jonfoxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 07 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I think I'll foil at about 160-165, but that will be sooner than I thought as I made an amatuer mistake by trimming the brisket in to the separate point and flat and still thinking that it would take a long time (as if it were whole), so I put them on at 8am and already up to 122 at 10 am... maybe I'll get lucky and it will get stuck for a while!
Masterbuilt Smokehouse
Weber 22.5 Kettle
BBQ Grillware Propane Grill w/Rotisserie
Sagaform Bucket Grill
bennynac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 07 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does foiling do? I have a brisket on the smoker at it hasnt gone above 162 for quite some time....
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 07 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing I ever learned from this or any other Q site was to let it set. I used to pull it and cut it and it was great but all the juice ran out and it got dry later. Once it sets for awhile and the juices go back into it and it cooks a little longer..ahh good stuff.
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 07 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfubarxx - in my opinion you've just stated one of the best yet least-known secrets of turning out a quality dish. In my experience giving that meat time to reabsorb the juices back into the center is key. So many folks like to slice or pull that thing right after they pull it from the smoker, and the first plate is great, but when you go back for seconds its dry as a bone. Let it rest for a while! It's well worth that tiny bit of additional wait. Even gives you a chance to enjoy one more of your favorite libation before picking up the knife.

Having said all that, I'm not sure I agree that it continues cooking very much during the "rest" period, and I think this is true with low-temp cooking, probably because the temperature is much more evenly distributed through the meat to begin with. I'm talking of cooking temps around 200 - 250. If you cook at higher temps, I think there is some additional cooking during the "rest" period while the hotter temperature at the exterior of the meat continues to permeate to the center.

But never disregard the added "juiciness" benefit of letting it rest.

Disclaimer: this is all strictly based on my own experiences and observations, not any particular culinary expertise. Or as Dennis Miller says: "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong." But on my smoker, I'm not wrong!
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03 07 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on my largest brisket..15#er. I've never really had a brisket plateau before till this one and it's making me nuts. Whole situation is a 15# and a 12 1/2# biskets. My dad cut them in 1/2 (top to bottom not flat and point). I knew I was screwed from that point. So now I have 2 fat ends and 2 thin ends. I started at 4:00 pm and the thin ends were almost done but the 2 fat ends (looked like roast) are not cooperating.Skinny sides hit 165* and wrapped...the thick ends hit about 159*and kinda stopped. I finally wrapped the bigger sides at 160* and stuck them in the oven to hold so I can get a nap. I've done single briskets before that were easy. Double it and add a slab of ribs and man what a pain for a newbie. Plus he and I have different styles of smoking. SO that makes it more fun. All I know is 8 beers, 5 Jack D and Coke and alot of hours and I need sleep. I need to hire an assistant. Wish me luck.
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03 07 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add the relevant part....depends on size, trim, altitude, weather,smoker, temps. etc... There is a general guide line but it's all by ear (or eye). Dalerious and going to bed. Good luck Jon. But learning is fun.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03 07 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people will not wrap (if you are so inclined) until after the temp plateau has passed. This is around 155 – 165 (depending on altitude, weather, type of brisket , ect…) Once that has happened, wrapping will speed the cooking process. However, some cooks believe that it gives the meat a more roast consistency. While in the foil the meat will sit in its own juice and steam the outer crust and make it soft. Once the meat is pulled at 190 – 200 approx. It will pick up an additional 10 degrees internally while resting during the first hour or so. I actually leave my probe in the meat while it is resting to monitor the internal temp. Afterwards, if you cut it in the right direction (against the grain) you should have some fairly good meat.
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04 07 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gonna reheat and hopefully cook it a little longer. Just got home from work and gotta start again in a few hours. I'll let ya know how it comes out, If all else fails...chop it and make sandwiches. Man gonna be a long weekend. My brother gets married Saturday. I feel like a zombie.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 07 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfubarxx wrote:
My brother gets married Saturday. I feel like a zombie.

...just think how HE feels. Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: