FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First cook on an ugly drum smoker plus build pics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 07 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shantyboat mike,
That ring is a thing of beauty. I see your concern for the firegrate warping. It must be a little heavy, but really nice job.

To put pics in your post, click "Img Code on Photo Bucket" under the picture you want to post then just paste in your post. Heres the Tutorial-
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4096

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Portable Sportsman Gasser
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
shantyboat mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 07 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we made it out of 3/16" mild steel because we didn't have any free stainless. No expanded metal either so my buddy programmed the laser to cut every one of those holes. It took an hour of (normally expensive) laser time but hey, it was Saturday. Too bad nobody will ever see it inside the drum. I do have some 3/16" perforated stainless for the grate but I think I'll use that for the meat shelf & just use a store bought grate like Coyoterick.
Here is what the ring looked like just off the laser, before it was rolled & welded.

[/img]
coyoterick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24 07 12:27 am    Post subject: Ugly Drum Smoker Food p*rn Reply with quote

I cooked a fattie and a brisket on the new drum smoker over the weekend. Not as good of a smoke ring as I had hoped. The brisket was cooked for 12 hours to 195, drum temp was held between 180-230.

Last edited by coyoterick on Tue May 01 07 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
habenero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 07 6:32 am    Post subject: Great Cooker! Reply with quote

Great job to all of you!
habenero
crgowo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I build mine I Was planning on placing my first rack 10" from the top and the second 20" from the top and placing some at least 2 18" pizza trays bettwne the firering and the first food grate. Have them bolted together with a nut or two between as a spacers. That way they will block the direct heat and protect the bottom grate and the top tray can be foiled to catch the drippings for easy clean up. kind of like the piedmont pan mod for the wsm. That way I can get more space between my racks.

I just dont know how the bottom aluminum tray will hold up to the direct heat. Ive been trying to find something else I can use, besides purchasing a slab of metal cut to that diameter, as the first heatsink but thats the best Ive comeup with.

Anyideas?
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work fine but, I think with the trays in between the coals and cooking grates, you will be missing that wonderful flavor the drippings give when falling directly onto the coals. IMO thats what makes this type of smoker really great. If you keep the cooking grate 24" or so from the coals, you don't have to worry about the direct heat and the temp control is real easy. I don't claim to be an accomplshed cook or anything but I do ok. I did some of my best spareribs on mine this past weekend.(Sorry no pics) So far I have done chicken wings and thighs, pork spareribs and some killer beef back ribs (which I have never cooked before) and all have been some of the best I have done, and that is not just my opinion. It is said that "It's the cook not the cooker" but, I believe these drums give you a little edge. If you haven't already tried food cooked on one of these, you really should. You may rethink the drip pan idea. Good Luck with whatever you decide and please keep us posted on your progress. Smoke filled eyes are waiting. Smile
Did I mention how much I like this smoker, it's just so simple, I really get a kick out of using it.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
woody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this post since it started and have just completed my very own 1st smoker based on all the imput I've read here. I went with the weber lid but I do however have a couple of questions before I attempt to smoke the turkey I have thawing in the fridge for this weekend. where should I mount the thermometer? ,in the lid or below the cooking crate? 2nd, I've read where some folks only use charcoal and was wondering how long does a 10 pound bag of charcoal last? do I dump it all in at once or a little at a time throughout the cooking process? I'm considering dropping in some wood chips bought from wallyworld but not sure when or how...any imput on heating this beast will be greatly appreciated by this smoking virgin Very Happy
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 07 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount the thermometer just under the cooking grate.
I have only used lump in mine, briquettes to light it.
I would bet 10lbs of briquets would burn for 8-10hrs easy.
Wood chips are going to burn up in a hurry and you probably won't get much flavor from it,
Fill the ring, light a half a chimney or so, when it's good n hot pour it in the ring. Then just cook that dang bird! Very Happy

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
shantyboat mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 07 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody,
In this type of smoker your smoking wood needs to be in fist size chunks so it won't burn up too fast. You can't use chips. Also depends whether the wood is green or not. I wrap mine in foil with a few holes in it. Soaking it won't do any good, the water can't penetrate enough. It doesn't take as much wood to give a good flavor as some will tell you either. If using green hickory don't use very much at all or it will be awful, but a little of it is great. You might want to go back & read the FAQ for BDS smokers at:

http://bigdrumsmokers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2572

These smokers are clones & variations of the Big Drum Smokers.

Mike
woody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 07 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info guys but my turkey will have to wait...I dropped the smoker off at a friends house so that he could weld some small legs on the bottom friday morning. He finished the legs and dropped the smoker off in the back of my garage friday afternoon, when I got home it was gone! My neighbor thinks she saw the garbageman take it??? I still have the lid and racks, so if I don't get the drum back I'll be insearch of another this week. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: