FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First cook on an ugly drum smoker plus build pics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CtheSmoke
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15 07 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you dumping your ash's...? Just flipping the whole barrel...?

I'm assuming that if your fire grate is 3 inchs from the bottom of the barrel one wouldn't be able to set this directly on asphalt or concrete with out setting it on bricks right...?

How do you add more coals if need be for a really long burn...?

7 inch clearance to the top is kinda close isn't it...?
Markbb
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15 07 9:21 pm    Post subject: Check this out............ Reply with quote

Marky C wrote:
Thats funny, I saw a robe hook that had 2 hooks and the holes nearly matched the holes on a handle. I wasn't sure if they were long enough to hang lid with, it probably will. I just dig little Sh!t like that, anything to make it more functional. I'd like to see some pics of that basket.
Man, I really really like this drum smoker. Holds some steady temps.

Does anyone know where I could find a WSM charcoal basket?
How wide and deep are they??
I can't seem to find them on Weber part sites.
the virtual weber bullet web site I know sombody will be able to help find what your looking for.
coyoterick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 07 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky C wrote:
I saw a robe hook that had 2 hooks and the holes nearly matched the holes on a handle.

I found some single robe hooks at both Home Depot and Lowes that looked like they would work good. Finding one with matching hole spacing would be ideal - two less holes to drill!

Quote:
I'd like to see some pics of that basket.

Here's a shot - you can see how I wove baling wire through the ends to tie it together, and also to tie the basket to an old grate. The basket is actually about 8 inches high since that was the size of the scrap I had. I didn't see any reason to cut it down.
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 07 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CtheSmoke wrote:
How are you dumping your ash's...? Just flipping the whole barrel...?

I'm assuming that if your fire grate is 3 inchs from the bottom of the barrel one wouldn't be able to set this directly on asphalt or concrete with out setting it on bricks right...?

How do you add more coals if need be for a really long burn...?

7 inch clearance to the top is kinda close isn't it...?

1. Yes, but someone else took a garden hoe and rounded it to fit the barrel and just scoop ashes out. Just be careful when you tell the wife your going to find a hoe to clean the ashes out of your smoker. Mr. Green
2. Yes, setting up on bricks is probably a good idea, but the bottom really doesn't get hot enough to damage concrete or blacktop. Alemaster has been cooking on that SS barrel right on the blacktop w/no problem.
3. If you load it up you should not have to add coals. As I said earlier in this thread, they are getting really long cooks out of minimal coals. But you will have to take off the cook grate to do so. Yeah, that is a pain but!! You could use the hinged Weber grate if you want.
4. And... on a 35" tall barrel 7" to lid is all your going to get. That should hold most butts, briskets, and chicken parts. You can fit whole chickens laying down, not beer butt though. There is a lot of info out there on these barrels, you just need to search and come up with what you like best. A Webber lid will give you more cooking space, if it fits the particular barrel you use. But there are mods for that also. Someone cut a hole in a barrel lid and welded a Webber lid to it. Idea I could go on and on about the different things people are doing with these things. But searching for ideas is part of the fun. I may mount a rotisserie on mine. I already have one I have mounted on my Chargriller, but have only used it (the rotisserie) a couple times. Just remember, when you come up with something cool, post pics.
Did I mention how much I like this smoker, it just keeps chugging along with minimal adjustment. Very Happy

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Portable Sportsman Gasser
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
hrchdog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 07 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky C and Coyoterick how tall are your drums and what is the measurements for the rack placement? How far Is the bottom rack from the charcoal grate?
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 07 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is 35" barrel. So it will hold only one rack with enough clearence to cook. I gave all the measurements earlier in this thread.
Please read back a little. If you have anymore questions, post back.
Here is a review of a 38" BDS that gives a lot of info:http://bbqblog.com/?p=81

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock

Last edited by Marky C on Tue May 01 07 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
coyoterick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 07 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 35" barrel as well. I placed the charcoal grate 2.5" from the bottom. The lower rack is 9" below the top and the upper rack is 4.5" below the top. So the lower rack is then 23.5" up from the charcoal grate. I didn't see any compelling reason to place the charcoal grate up much off the bottom so I moved it down (ignoring the wisdom of this thread). Shocked That allowed me to install two cooking grates.
mr bbq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man those barrel smokers are nice! I got a questions though. Do you really need the valve and cap? And what if you cut out the bottom as well? Would that make the smoker better or worse? And how do you keep the bottom of the barrel from wearing out?
coyoterick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need some mechanism of controlling airflow, using a valve is one way and using caps or plugs are another. If you cut the bottom out then you'd have to set it on a perfectly flat surface to keep it from leaking air, otherwise you couldn't control the amount of air coming in. The bottom doesn't wear out because the coals don't sit directly on the bottom of it - the bottom merely catches the ash.
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not suggest cutting the bottom out. If you do cut it, you could set it down in the ground a little to keep it from leaking air, but I think that would rot out a lot faster. Keep water out of it and good paint and who knows how long they will last. I don't have much $$ into mine, so when it does rot out, hopefully 4-5 yrs. I'll try to salvage parts for another.
Maybe someone that has owned one longer than 3 weeks will chime in.
Here is a really primitive one.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC294E/AC294E10.htm

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
mr bbq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I did another thread about adding a side fire box to my barrel grill, but before that I thought about flipping my barrel grill and making it an upright smoker. It already has a big door, and openings, it was already a grill/smoker anyway.

I thought about cutting the top and bottom out and adding some legs and little wheels to it so I can move it around. I saw you put the valve and cap on and was wondering do I need to put that on mine if I choose to do that or can I get away without it? Leaving the bottom on would be less work but I'm just worried about the ash and heat destroying the bottom of the barrel. How do you keep the bottom from getting beat up? Bricks on the bottom?
coyoterick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw you put the valve and cap on and was wondering do I need to put that on mine if I choose to do that or can I get away without it?

Take a closer look at mine, there's no valve and caps there's only holes and plugs.

Quote:
I'm just worried about the ash and heat destroying the bottom of the barrel

Keep in mind that this is a smoker, not a grill! The coals are fed only enough air to keep the drum around 225 degrees. The coals aren't nearly as hot as they would be in a grill. It's not an issue.

Quote:
How do you keep the bottom from getting beat up? Bricks on the bottom?

What on earth would beat the bottom up?
mr bbq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I gotcha...sounds sweet. Yours is real nice. I might have to try that on another project. Thanks for that.

I see your thermometer there, which did you use? I have the grill thermo...would that work? I need to find a real good one for that.
coyoterick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 07 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr bbq wrote:
I have the grill thermo...would that work?

The one in the photo is actually from my Weber Genesis grill - I'll be getting a new one for the drum smoker that has a shorter stem on it. Taylor makes lots of different models that will work fine with a drum.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 07 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know that chicken recipe.
shantyboat mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 07 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This is my first post I don't know how to post a pic but here goes. This is my new fire ring. It is laser cut from 7 ga (about 3/16") hot rolled. I have a stainless drum 35" tall.

Looks to me like the full size expanded metal grate might sag down in the middle from the heat, being supported only by the through bolts at the perimiter. I guess you could turn it over & let it warp back the other direction if that happened. That might be a reason not to fasten the ring to the grate.

I'm thinking I'll not have a full size grate shelf, just put a bottom in the fire ring out of the same material, making sure plenty air holes. I'll support it at the edges of the fire ring with small 2 1/2" vertical legs so as not to impede the airflow. That way no bolts through the side of the drum to get in the way when you clean out the ash.

Also, SURPLUS CENTER has some dandy all stainless thermometers for about $19. I got one & it is Chinese made but looks like great quality.

Mike

Last edited by shantyboat mike on Fri Apr 20 07 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
saint308
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 07 11:25 pm    Post subject: Tutorial Reply with quote

Are there any plans or tutorials on making one of these? They look like a good fun weekend of beer drinking and building. Thanks. Saint.
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 07 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shantyboat mike wrote:

Looks to me like the full size expanded metal grate might sag down in the middle from the heat, being supported only by the through bolts at the perimiter. I guess you could turn it over & let it warp back the other direction if that happened. That might be a reason not to fasten the ring to the grate.

I'm thinking I'll not have a full size grate shelf, just put a bottom in the fire ring out of the same material, making sure plenty air holes. I'll support it at the edges of the fire ring with small 2 1/2" vertical legs so as not to impede the airflow. That way no bolts through the side of the drum to get in the way when you clean out the ash.
Mike

Sounds like you are off to a good start and have some good ideas.
I don't think you have to worry about that fire grate warping anytime soon. Mine is 1/8" expanded metal, pretty thick.
I was think of building another with a grate the same size as the ring, freestanding as you mentioned. But maybe adding a plate of steel the same size as the ring and grate under those vertical legs. So if you lifted it out carefully, most of the ash should stay on the plate.
Also just wiring the basket to the grate, that way, flipping the grate over or replacing it would be no problem. Can you picture that??
Good luck with the build.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 07 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3970010 wrote:
I would like to know that chicken recipe.

Did you mean mine in the picture?? If so, it's pretty basic.
Marinated for couple hours in Zesty Italian with a little lemon juice and some Lawry's chicken & poulty rub.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
shantyboat mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 07 5:19 am    Post subject: fire ring, grate Reply with quote

I like Coyoterick's idea of using a stock store bought grate under the fire ring. Easy to replace, looks heavy enough & lets in plenty of air. I know I've seen those around somewhere, maybe WallyWorld. I'll have to see if the dimensions would work with the fire ring I already made.

I can't find any stainless pipe nipples to weld in (my drum is stainless) so I guess I'll just cut plain old holes. Prob'ly just stuff a wad of tinfoil in there.

How do you post pics on here so they end up in your post anyway?

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: