FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bourbon and BBQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may or may not know this so FYI.

There are only two Whiskeys legally defined by State of manufactur in the USA.

Bourbon, which is from Kentucky "ONLY" and has a very narrow recipe for it to be classified as Bourbon.

Tennessee Whiskey, from Tennessee also has a very narrow recipe for it to carry that classification.

The big difference between the two is that Tennessee whiskey has to be charcoal filtered and Bourbon cannot be.

There are only two Tennessee Whiskys being distilled at this point in time (that I'm aware of) .

George Dickle and Jack Daniels

George Dickle (Tan Label special 12) is probably the most elegant and sophiticated American whiskey on the market right now, and price makes it a best buy. If you have never tried it you should, and drink it neat It's too good for ice.

Jack has lost some of it's charactor over the years due to the Proof being lowered from 100 to 80 in increments over the past 20 years. People either love it or hate it.

I happen to love it's big brawny liqorice flavor but I miss the 100 proof version. I never buy it either. It's very over priced.

GIANT BBQ
Northsider
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12 09 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Zilla I had no idear you're a Bourbon or whiskey fan. I'll have a big bottle of Makers Mark at Q-Fest for sure , we'll throw a few down. Wink
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12 09 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I expect we will! Smile That's one hell of a good time brother! I can't wait!!!

GIANT BBQ
ipfilter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 09 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan Williams black label. Best bang for the buck. Never have found the single barrel in my area but I've read it is very good.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 09 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniels is not a favorite of mine but George Dickel is excellent. I got a bottle of single barrel last year for Christmas and it was some find stuff.
Bourbon wise I drink Jim Beam the most because it is such a bargain. When I splurge it is Woodford Reserve or if that is unavailable Makers Mark is good.
I know some people are bourbon or nothing types but give the George Dickel a try. Very tasty and bargain priced.

On another subject if you like big Belgian beers Ommegang makes some good stuff at a reasonable price. Right now I like Three Philosophers the best. Give it a try. http://www.ommegang.com/
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipfilter wrote:
Evan Williams black label. Best bang for the buck. Never have found the single barrel in my area but I've read it is very good.

Love the EW single barrel. It's my favorite.

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order:

Woodford Reserve
Gentleman jack
Makers Mark

Woodford is a great after dinner drink, it is a bit sweeter than the other two. If it isn't a dessert drink, I'll go right to Gentleman Jack.
txluke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03 10 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makers, woodford, or knob. I had a rule. Don't drink booze that comes in a plastic bottle. I broke that rule the other day when at a cook-off I drank Canadian Mist. Not bad stuff for what it is.
SHIMANOFAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10 10 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be a BIG Jim Beam guy Have tried and like most bourbons but for some reason me and bourbon are a volatile mix. Last few years I have kinda moved to Johnnie Walker Black Label (12 yr.). Sounds strange but mix a heavy shot with some cream soda and its awesome.
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful wife got me a bottle of Glenlivet for Christmas. So I'll be working on that for awhile. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
Soybomb
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
You may or may not know this so FYI.

There are only two Whiskeys legally defined by State of manufactur in the USA.

Bourbon, which is from Kentucky "ONLY" and has a very narrow recipe for it to be classified as Bourbon.

Tennessee Whiskey, from Tennessee also has a very narrow recipe for it to carry that classification.

The big difference between the two is that Tennessee whiskey has to be charcoal filtered and Bourbon cannot be.

There are only two Tennessee Whiskys being distilled at this point in time (that I'm aware of) .

George Dickle and Jack Daniels

George Dickle (Tan Label special 12) is probably the most elegant and sophiticated American whiskey on the market right now, and price makes it a best buy. If you have never tried it you should, and drink it neat It's too good for ice.

Jack has lost some of it's charactor over the years due to the Proof being lowered from 100 to 80 in increments over the past 20 years. People either love it or hate it.

I happen to love it's big brawny liqorice flavor but I miss the 100 proof version. I never buy it either. It's very over priced.

There's a lot of mythology around booze and law, especially an american classic like bourbon. I think you might have heard some of them over the years. Here's the list of requirements you need to go through to label your product http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?YEAR=current&TITLE=27&PART=5&SECTION=22&SUBPART=&TYPE=TEXT The .gov essentially says that bourbon needs to come from a mash of at least 51% corn and no caramel color and it can be made anywhere in the US (purists may disagree though). So there's really not too much of a base recipe restriction although there are some post production requirements too.
transplantedtexan

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elijah Craig 6 yo
Old Van Winkle 107
Old Grand Dad 114
Weller Antique
And #1 is Van Winkle 20 yo (Which a store by me has for $40 a bottle)

Some may like this speech fron Noah Sweat given from the Miss Legislature floor -
"My friends,
I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

If when you say whiskey you mean the devilís brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But;

If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentlemanís step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, lifeís great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise." - Noah Sweat
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 21 10 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bourbon

Cook with: Jack or Jim Beam

Enjoy: Blanton's or Pappy Van Winkle

Whiskey:

Old Potrerro (spelling, sorry) distilled by Anchor Steam Brewing Co.

Scotch Whiskey:

Oban 14, anything Aberlour, Talisker
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30 10 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe no one mentioned Basil Hayden! I love that stuff! Maker's Mark too. And yes, even though it is not technically bourbon I like Jack................ Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
cptnmorgan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03 10 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out here in the northwest you cant beat a good old shot of pendleton
msiegpt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24 10 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makers Mark
Woodford Reserve
Bookers

grill
offset
one on the drawing board.
Kronk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26 10 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan Williams single barrel.
I enjoy a good rye or wheat whiskey though.
Blends like Crown Royal.
But my favorite? -Thine own.
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09 11 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronk wrote:

But my favorite? -Thine own.

have a good recipe? I have access to said equipment.
Buck Run BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 11 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone sampled Devil's Cut from Beam yet? Talk about punching your mouth in the face! It has a much deeper, more mature finsh than the white label and settles in very nicely. That is, of course, just my interpretation of it.

If you haven't yet, give 'er a swish and see what you think...
SWP5767
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 11 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck Run BBQ wrote:
Anyone sampled Devil's Cut from Beam yet? Talk about punching your mouth in the face! It has a much deeper, more mature finsh than the white label and settles in very nicely. That is, of course, just my interpretation of it.

If you haven't yet, give 'er a swish and see what you think...

Funny you mention that. I saw it on their website, but not in the store yet. My local store owner says it hits the bars for a few months before the stores and people start looking for it.. I like the Beam Black so im interested in the Devils Cut!!
Char-Broil Gasser (yea I know)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: