FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick mod to Char-griller outlaw..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkabina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 11:23 pm    Post subject: Quick mod to Char-griller outlaw.. Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new here and plan to build a Rf smoker but have not got my materials yet. I picked up a new Char-Griller outlaw with a side fire box for $140. to play with till I get the materials for my build.

Anyway, I built a baffle/heat sheild and haven't used it yet. I will let you know how it turnes out. The first burn I had 300* on the fb side and 100* on the other side.

Here are a couple pics. Let me know what you think.
Sorry bout the crappy phone pics.
Next mods will be to the stack and a basket for the fb.

patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should help a bit. I found just flipping the charcoal pan over in the cookbox and adding 2 thermometers to each side got me within 25-30 degrees of each other. As to the grate for the FB, I haven't seen a need with lump coal and definitely not with stick burning. These rugs were really meant for burning splits. I did however buy a charcoal basket from Lowe's just in case. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
bkabina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. What is a good lump to use? All I could find today when looking for some was Cowboy brand lump from lowes.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkabina, I have been using Frontier brand from Sam's and love it. It is 14.99 a 40lb. bag.

Hybrid Cooker
bkabina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extended the stack to the cooking grate and built a better charcoal rack and raised it up a couple inches.
I piled up some cowboy lump towards the vent in the fire box and dumped a lit chimney full of lump towards the cooking chamber that was at 10:45 this morning. In about 20 minutes, it was up to 225* toward the fire box and 200* on the other end. I closed the vent all the way but 1/16".
It has been holding temp 2 hrs , I pulled all the coals towards the cooking chamber and added a bunch of unlit lump at the vent side again. ( I didn't think I started with enough )
So far I am happy with the mods. We will see how it turns out later.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06 10 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkabina wrote:
Thanks.. What is a good lump to use? All I could find today when looking for some was Cowboy brand lump from lowes.

Cowboy is horrible. I used it for the cleanout the next day. If I can't find Royal Oak I use Frontier, which is fine. Unless it is summer, this rig really prefers using logs/splits. Coal takes a lot of feeding to keep the temp up.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: