FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoker selection Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigpappa1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 19 8:45 pm    Post subject: Smoker selection Help Reply with quote

Hello All. I haven’t posted in a very long time, but I’ve remained active in the background. I need some help choosing a new smoker. I’ve used my WSM for years and I love it, but I want to get into stick burning. I’m prepared to spend up to $1,200 granted that I am able to make the commission this year that I think I can. I really like the story and build of Horizon’s offset. The 20” model would fit me quite well, as I want to go up in cooking space, somewhere around 600-700 sq. In. The Old Country Brazos actually looks like quite a unit as well, and a great value. I live in Iowa so anything from Lang or anyone in Texas kind of gets ruled out based on shipping costs.

Now we have baby number two on the way so there are plenty of other places for money to go. This led me to wonder if an Oklahoma Joe might be good enough. I know they aren’t heavy like a Horizon, but I wonder if they are heavy enough. It would be an easier sell to the wife, that’s for sure. I also thought about building one. Where I work we have a CNC plasma table, brake press, welding, etc. with good planning, I could probably cut everything out ahead of the build and weld off in a day. By the time I price it all out, though, I don’t feel like I really save much, plus I run the risk of making something that isn’t tested/won’t work well.

Anyone have any general thoughts or recommendations? [/b]

On Fridays I usually tell people I'm going to smoke something this weekend. They tend to get the wrong idea...
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 19 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMHO but the new okie joes are nowhere near the smoker as the original. My son has one that the 2 pc. clamshell firebox burnt out in less than a yr.
If you check on here Trailer Builder has a 20"x42" offset with a 18" FB that looks like a great backyard smoker. As with most of his builds the thread is as good as a how to.
Also I believe KAM has a backyarder that came out great. they are both great guys you might try messaging them to pick their brains a little...
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 19 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubled post
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 19 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just you but stuff like this gets my goat. Being one that is trying to make a living with a weld shop.

"I could probably cut everything out ahead of the build and weld off in a day. By the time I price it all out, though, I don’t feel like I really save much,"

And someone with the equipment cost/maintenance, building and land expense, paying people (all that goes with that expense) and what ever other never ending head aches that go with operations.

Some how makes a living out of what is left over, then people say oh that costs to much.
Rant over.

Build your own, make a close copy of others to stay in proven working parameters add a few thing to make it yours and reap the rewards of something that you built.
Bigpappa1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 19 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I could probably cut everything out ahead of the build and weld off in a day. By the time I price it all out, though, I don’t feel like I really save much,"

And someone with the equipment cost/maintenance, building and land expense, paying people (all that goes with that expense) and what ever other never ending head aches that go with operations.

Some how makes a living out of what is left over, then people say oh that costs to much.
Rant over.

I totally get you. I run...well, I AM the sales and marketing staff where I work. We are an engineering company that designs and builds custom robotic cells, fixtures, and machines. We regularly hear that that things cost too much, that people just think it should be less than our quotes. Yet they still want top notch service and quick delivery. I could go on and on...

Let me make sure I'm clear about one thing: I don't think the good cookers are overpriced at all. Maybe out of my price range, but not overpriced. The price of the cookers doesn't deter me so much as the price of shipping one. That's what's really hard to swallow. There are other benefits to building too, like just saying I did it. The experience and all. I just don't have much confidence in my own fabricating skills to believe I would put out something I would be proud of. Weld draw along could turn it pretty ugly...

On Fridays I usually tell people I'm going to smoke something this weekend. They tend to get the wrong idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: