FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked pulled pork Hot and fast on a gasser?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckrogers71
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 19 8:58 am    Post subject: Smoked pulled pork Hot and fast on a gasser? Reply with quote

I've done a ton of ribs, chicken and turkey smoked on my gasser. This will be the very 1st time attempting pulled pork. I dont have a ton of time so I thought of going the hot and fast method rather than throwing it in the crock pot with liquid smoke.

Its about a 6 lb butt and I plan on using apple and pecan as my smoke
Questions:
Thought of going at 325* (or should I go higher)
How long for a 6 lbs butt using this method and temp?
Foil or no?
I know to pull at 200*, but do anything after that other than let it rest?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 19 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that temp. maybe 3 hr. or so of good smoke then wrapped as the higher temp. has a tendency of drying out the meat. All things equal probably a cook time of 6-7 hrs...
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 19 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go by temperature. Pulling at 200 may do it, but typically the higher the cook temp the higher the internal temp necessary to get it tender. Temperature should only be considered a tool to get you to the point where you need to start paying attention to tenderness. Pull it when probe tender.

And no...you're not going to dry it out by cooking at a higher pit temp.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 19 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may take 6-7 hours...but don't be surprised if you're done in five.
buckrogers71
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 19 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 19 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
Don't go by temperature. Pulling at 200 may do it, but typically the higher the cook temp the higher the internal temp necessary to get it tender. Temperature should only be considered a tool to get you to the point where you need to start paying attention to tenderness. Pull it when probe tender.

Great advice Pit Boss. I have learned this by cooking several 5 or 6# chunks of brisket in my kettle. Cooking at 225-250 they're usually probe tender around 200-205 internal temp. Cooking at 275-300 I've found they need to get up to 210-215.
buckrogers71
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 19 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a kid on christmas I decided to smoke today. That and its supposed to snow here tomorrow. Running at about 325, apple and pecan wood. Gonna take a look at it in about 5 1/2 hrs. Since I am smoking today for tomorrow, are there any hints, tips, techniques I should know about?
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 19 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest...

When you pull from the pit today, rest for at least an hour or maybe two hours. To do that, I would pull from the pit, allow to stand about 10 minutes uncovered, wrap (or re-wrap) in foil, wrap in towel and let sit on the counter for an hour, or drop the toweled butt in a small dry cooler for two hours. Pull & bag in ziplocks. Don't fill the bags more than 1/2 way, flatten, and refrigerate. Believe it or not these things microwave extremely well if you don't overheat them. I would nuke on high for 30 seconds, dump out in a bowl, stir to break up any clumps, then nuke at 15-20 second intervals (stirring in between) until sufficiently warm.

Some folks will suggest you put drippings or fat in with the pork before you bag it up "to keep it moist". Apparently that is a technique that is useful for folks who cook dry pork. Don't cook dry pork and you won't need that crutch.
buckrogers71
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 19 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
I suggest...

When you pull from the pit today, rest for at least an hour or maybe two hours. To do that, I would pull from the pit, allow to stand about 10 minutes uncovered, wrap (or re-wrap) in foil, wrap in towel and let sit on the counter for an hour, or drop the toweled butt in a small dry cooler for two hours. Pull & bag in ziplocks. Don't fill the bags more than 1/2 way, flatten, and refrigerate. Believe it or not these things microwave extremely well if you don't overheat them. I would nuke on high for 30 seconds, dump out in a bowl, stir to break up any clumps, then nuke at 15-20 second intervals (stirring in between) until sufficiently warm.

Some folks will suggest you put drippings or fat in with the pork before you bag it up "to keep it moist". Apparently that is a technique that is useful for folks who cook dry pork. Don't cook dry pork and you won't need that crutch.

Cool. Could I put it in a foil serving tray and warm it up @ around 200* in the over tomorrow?
buckrogers71
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 19 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
I suggest...

Cool. Could I put it in a foil serving tray and warm it up @ around 200* in the over tomorrow?
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 19 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can...but I'm going to be honest...I prefer the microwave over the oven in this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Hot & Fast All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: