FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket - Texas vs. KC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missin44

PostPosted: Sat May 25 19 12:08 am    Post subject: Brisket - Texas vs. KC Reply with quote

Regarding brisket Texas seems to be the go to standard. However I know brisket is done in KC and all over the country for that matter. Texas by in large is petty basic, salt & pepper as a rule. So what the they do in KC? I'm guessing just an all purpose rub that they use on pork, a little sweet. Anyone know?
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 25 19 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think more of a sweet rub, also burnt ends, usually in my opinion too sweet, too saucy. JMHO...
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 31 19 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Think more of a sweet rub, also burnt ends, usually in my opinion too sweet, too saucy. JMHO...

In the beginning...burnt ends weren't necessarily sweet, and they sure weren't saucy. They were literally the chard/dry outside bits that the cutters didn't want to put on a plate. They had a high ratio of bark:meat. This gave them inherently higher seasoning and more smoke than the slices with more meat than bark.

Someone along the way decided to start using sauce, and now you have what you see today...really sweet, wet chunks of brisket. (in many cases anyway)
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 19 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
jess wrote:

In the beginning...burnt ends weren't necessarily sweet, and they sure weren't saucy. They were literally the chard/dry outside bits that the cutters didn't want to put on a plate. They had a high ratio of bark:meat. This gave them inherently higher seasoning and more smoke than the slices with more meat than bark.

Someone along the way decided to start using sauce, and now you have what you see today...really sweet, wet chunks of brisket. (in many cases anyway)

I think it's overdone when they say KC is sweet sauce. I think they got that rep from KC Masterpiece years ago. Many places here....the sauce is spicy with hints of chili powder. Are there sweet sauces....yes, but many also have 3 or more sauces with maybe one on the sweeter side. I don't eat Q out a lot but my go to's are Joes KC, Q39 and Jack Stack witjh the occasional visit to a place I've not tried. There are litterally 150 or more places that you can very respectable Q. I can say I've never really had a sweet beef burnt end. Some places still serve them dry with the sauce on the side.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 19 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
jess wrote:

I think it's overdone when they say KC is sweet sauce. I think they got that rep from KC Masterpiece years ago. Many places here....the sauce is spicy with hints of chili powder. Are there sweet sauces....yes, but many also have 3 or more sauces with maybe one on the sweeter side. I don't eat Q out a lot but my go to's are Joes KC, Q39 and Jack Stack witjh the occasional visit to a place I've not tried. There are litterally 150 or more places that you can very respectable Q. I can say I've never really had a sweet beef burnt end. Some places still serve them dry with the sauce on the side.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 19 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Hawg. I hope life's road is getting a little easier. By the way, I didn't say all KC Q was that way, just the perception. Just as all Fl. Q is " really sweet & saucy"...
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 19 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Good to hear from you Hawg. I hope life's road is getting a little easier. By the way, I didn't say all KC Q was that way, just the perception. Just as all Fl. Q is " really sweet & saucy"...

Oh yeah!! Just my 2 cents. I think what has happened is over the last 25 years since I moved here many, many places have been opened by very successful competition guys that used a much more blended BBQ style than being a local that followed the old regional blue print. KC certainly carries the sweet/saucy reputation. It's like looking at Ron Howard at age 65 and you see Opie!!
30" Masterbuilt Digital
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: