FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instead of "Ice water," can I use...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaxMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 18 12:02 pm    Post subject: Instead of "Ice water," can I use... Reply with quote

BLUF: In sausage recipes that call for ice water, cold water, or just water can I use broth, stock or whatever instead?

Long version:

In a huge number of recipes for just about any type of sausage, I see "Ice water," , "cold water," ,"water," or some variation as an ingredient.

I've used it in tons of sausage I've made with good result (and even in the pounds that turned out to be complete garbage...) but when I think of sausage making as if it were cooking, I keep thinking that if a liquid is needed, "Why not use something with some flavor?"

So is there any reason NOT to substitute some chicken or beef broth for the cold water mentioned in recipes?

It seems like it would make any recipe better, but maybe I'm wrong and missing something here.

Any thoughts?
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 18 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Instead of "Ice water," can I use... Reply with quote

TaxMan wrote:
BLUF: In sausage recipes that call for ice water, cold water, or just water can I use broth, stock or whatever instead?

Long version:

In a huge number of recipes for just about any type of sausage, I see "Ice water," , "cold water," ,"water," or some variation as an ingredient.

I've used it in tons of sausage I've made with good result (and even in the pounds that turned out to be complete garbage...) but when I think of sausage making as if it were cooking, I keep thinking that if a liquid is needed, "Why not use something with some flavor?"

So is there any reason NOT to substitute some chicken or beef broth for the cold water mentioned in recipes?

It seems like it would make any recipe better, but maybe I'm wrong and missing something here.

Any thoughts?

You could use any liquid really but there are a few things to consider; 1) is it a fermented dry aged sausage? High acidity can affect your PH drop and should be avoided; 2) in a similar vein, using very acidic liquids will also affect your bind and leave you with a crumbly sausage (not good). For this reason vinegar should generally be avoided unless you are specifically going for that texture (Mexican chorizo being the only one I can think of off the top of my head); 3) using broth is fine but keep in mind broth is generally salty. If you are adding salt to the level you want and then also adding a salty broth you may find your sausage oversalted. Adjust your basic salt level to account for the added broth.

So with those things in mind go for it, experiment until you find a taste you like. I for one have used various alcohols (mostly wine) and had very good results but again you don't want to overdo the liquid, just use enough to develop the myoglobin in the meat and achieve a good bind, less is better in this case I find.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 18 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say for fresh sausage that you plan on making and cooking immediately, you'll be fine experimenting with stock. Otherwise, heed the advice above.
TaxMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09 18 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts, and I will keep them in mind. I guess there are so many variables in grinding that it's hard to really get out exactly what I was asking.

I only do fresh sausage, so I think that I'll pick mundane recipe and do a half batch with ice water and a half batch with some stock and see how things turn out. I would expect more flavor or maybe even a better mouth feel from the stock/broth batch because of all of the delicious collagen in there.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is including a wild card that is too much of a variable. I don't put salt into the chicken or beef stock I make, so I wouldn't think it would change the salt content too much.

Reading through a BUNCH of online recipes as well as a few paper books, no one seems to be doing this; that makes me think that there's a reason not to use anything besides water, but I just can't see what it would be right now.

When I make stock, I freeze it in ice cube trays, two cups to a tray, eight cubes to a cup. It really seems that icy cold stock would be a natural choice in a product that aims to get the most flavor into a small casing, but I know I'm not the first person to think of this...I just can't figure out why I can't find it in writing somewhere.

At any rate, pork butt and pork loin is cheap enough to experiment with and even bad sausage is still sausage so...excelsior!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: