FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q: Cooking hanging chicken quarters in a UDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 18 12:43 am    Post subject: Q: Cooking hanging chicken quarters in a UDS Reply with quote

Buddy of mine is making a chicken hanging rig for my UDS. It will be rebar that is rolled into a ring, then a cross put over that and then connect the ends of the cross with a square. Gives lots of room to hang chicken.

Of course, I don't have it yet, but I am thinking ahead. How many quarters do you think I can fit in there and for cooking, what temp would you cook at? Thinking of loading it up for a friends and family gathering.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 18 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run all my chicken at 300 plus these days unless i'm pulling it or putting in a recipe because i like the skin. Never met a low and slow chicken with good skin unless it went through a grill afterwards and I still don't like that as well as high heat. I do large halves on my stick burner at 300 plus for an hour to put smoke on it and then move it to my ceramic running 350.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 18 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get your stick burner hotter? Ramp it up over time?

That's one thing I have done on the UDS is let it go to start at the temp you set and then open the vents more as you get further into the cook so it gets hotter.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 18 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started out doing chicken on the stick burner low and slow and didn't like the results unless it was strictly pulled and skin discarded. I started putting on at 260 to 270 and ramping temps and it really had a similar effect. I think by allowing the chicken to sweat over that ramp up period, there is already too much moisture for the skin to crisp to my desire after the ramp up. I tried smoking and then moving to a hot grill and usually the skin ruptured and drew back to where I had big tags of cooked skin hanging from half naked chicken.

I finally went with high heat. Found my chicken still gets plenty of smoke penetration and is much more desirable in presentation. I will still move it to the top shelf in my ceramic when I'm not lazy because I like the over the coals finish.

I didn't keep my UDS long enough to do a lot of chicken cooks. My son needed a secondary smoker and I was having a major traffic jam with my equipment.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 18 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:
Well I started out doing chicken on the stick burner low and slow and didn't like the results unless it was strictly pulled and skin discarded. I started putting on at 260 to 270 and ramping temps and it really had a similar effect. I think by allowing the chicken to sweat over that ramp up period, there is already too much moisture for the skin to crisp to my desire after the ramp up. I tried smoking and then moving to a hot grill and usually the skin ruptured and drew back to where I had big tags of cooked skin hanging from half naked chicken.

I finally went with high heat. Found my chicken still gets plenty of smoke penetration and is much more desirable in presentation. I will still move it to the top shelf in my ceramic when I'm not lazy because I like the over the coals finish.

I didn't keep my UDS long enough to do a lot of chicken cooks. My son needed a secondary smoker and I was having a major traffic jam with my equipment.

Got it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: