FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Given offset smoker, need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brewticus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05 18 10:08 pm    Post subject: Given offset smoker, need help Reply with quote

I was given this large offset smoker. Been using a cheap charbroiled offset for years but it had the typical round firebox...easy enough. With its rectangular box, 24"x24"x10.5". I'm just not sure of the setup to burn. Obviously, the top tray is a water tray and seems to completely (or almost) block the flow from under. Looks like rails under that for another...something. Then the grate on the bottom of the box, I'm assuming for the fire. Even a vent cap that screws up and down to adjust air flow. Any help and advise of this beast would be greatly apriciated. Not sure if it was originally bought or made but was free to me. It's very sturdy and very heavy and compared to my old rusty charbroiled, huge.
As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I will.

Last edited by Brewticus on Fri Apr 06 18 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Brewticus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05 18 11:29 pm    Post subject: Couple of pics to help, hope the URL's work Reply with quote

idajack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06 18 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the pan is an ash pan and the screen grate actually sits on the first shelf that is cut open and the pan sits at the bottom to catch ash.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06 18 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put that pan in the bottom section, wouldn’t it block the vent in the door as well?
Brewticus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 18 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about that...makes perfect sense. This is the way it came to me. Then, I would assume, place a water pan just inside the cook chamber to help diffuse the heat as well as add moisture. I'm going to do a dry run as soon as I get it cleaned up from rust and painted.
Brewticus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10 18 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Tried to put the pan in the bottom of the fire box for an ash catch as suggested but it doesn't fit on the bottom or middle shelf. Can see some blackened areas on the pan from previous burns. I have to assume the pan was made for the top shelf. Question still remains... will it block a lot of heat? Smoke will surely find its way around it. Would love to hear from someone who has seen this type of setup before. I'm a bit confused. This weekend I'm going to do a test burn and monitor temps and smoke.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 18 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would take everything out of the firebox (except maybe the bottom grate that holds your splits)...and start a fire. If it runs good as-is, then forget all the other crap that's in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: