FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meat cuts question??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnivores

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 7:57 am    Post subject: meat cuts question?? Reply with quote

what is tri tip , i don't think i've seen any at my local market. is this the same as sirlion tip roasts?? most of the road side resturants i've been to sell mostly pork. what would be considerd 'pit beef'??
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good site that explains it all...... http://www.orbeef.org/New%20Tri-Tip.htm
SHHHH
but don`t tell anyone cause usually its not a real expensive cut of meat. If too many people get to know`n about it we`ll end up drive`n the prices up. Wink
O let me tell ya once you try it you`ll not want brisket any more..... Shocked
To Grill:
Sear on all sides over high heat, remove to indirect till ya hit 140-145 medium rare. Slice against the grain......... heaven on your plate.
Smoker:
Cook to 140-145 internal over wood of your choise, i use a little hickory and mesquite mix. Pull off the smoker let rest. Slice against the grain.....even better on your plate.
A must try at least once. Wink
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tackled a couple of Tri-tips and one was great, the other not so great. The first time I got one was from a butcher I didn't know and he sold me about 75% fat and 25% tri-tip. I didn't go back. The second time I went to someone different and they knew the game. Back then I didn't have a smoker so I did it on the grill and it was really good. I would like to try another one in the smoker but just haven't had the opportunity. Been too busy with briskets, ribs, fatties, pork shoulders and salmon. Once you master fish, you pretty much have "it".
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 10:30 am    Post subject: Pit Beef Reply with quote

"Pit Beef" is usually done out of some type of round cut. Might be eye of round, top round, or maybe bottom round. I use whatever is on sale as they all are good.

I like to put them on a spinner and cook at about 400 degrees until about 120 internal.

Slice it real thin for my pit beef sandwiches.

I mix some Lipton onion soup into my meat, grill the bun, and then prep this for my sandwiches.

Making up the sandwich.

Good stuff!!
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a LOT of Tri-tips and I get them from Costco. I like Costco because the beef is 'choice' instead of slect grade. Costco also trims very well so there is nearly ZERO shrinkage. Most stores leave the 'fat cap' on and that sounds like what happened to yours. I personally don't like paying for all that fat but then again.........Costco's price for a 2 pack was $5.69 lb last week. I do get a lot better price by the case but for this last party I only needed 4.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dave, do you foil and rest them?

The color looks like it might have been over the 120 F, or is that really rarer than it looks in the pictures?

I must say I do like my steak to still Moo when I put the fork in.

I still work here!
sheddcanyon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area, where Santa Maria style bbq was born and perfected (that should start an argument or two), tri-tips used to be the cut of choice. (I know, we're not bbqing, we're grilling.) Nowadays, top blocks seem to be the cut of choice. Maybe they are called something different in other parts of the U.S.

The benefit of the top block is you get more meat in the bag, there is less of a fat cap, and I think the meat is a higher quality cut than the tri-tip. You can get choice blocks at Costco and they always seem to be around 5-6 $ per pound. Age one of these in the cryo-vac for 20 days in your refrigerator and you'll have meat that you can cut with your fork.

The other thing that puts me off about tri-tip is that every other one I cook seems to have what I believe to be a needle wound from an injection. I could be wrong but the wound is always dime-shaped and can look like a blister. I've been around cattle all my life and I don't know what else would cause that mark.
walknbluez72
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-tip is very popular out here in CA. Probably because its got great flavor like many cuts of beef with more fat in them (but doesn't have as much fat) and at the same time fairly tender. I usually season them, then cook on high heat until medium in the center and it is sooooo tasty. Prices have gone up lately I've noticed.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had great tri-tip when visiting out West! Very Happy We visited the Monterey Fresh Market last fall, and had some good eats- they know how to cook it out there! Very Happy
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy,

Yes, I do foil and rest the meat before I serve it. And you are right in that it did finish at a higher temp than what it was when I pulled it. I always pull at 120 internal for any mixed crowd.

I would imagine that if I wanted the meat to finish out at 120 internal, that I would have to pull it around 105 running the 400 degree cooking temp.
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marvs, Costco also has Tri-tip in cryopac form that contains usually around 8 Tri-tips in the package. I love purchasing these because the fat is already trimmed off and you are only paying for the meat plus I think the meat is more tender.

flex................
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
jminion
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 07 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Tri tip is a trianglular muscle at the bottom of the sirloin, a sirloin tip roast is the muscle that connects the backbone to the rear hip.

Other have given you ideas on Tri Tip but a sirloin tip roast is a great cut for pit beef. Smoke till it hits about 125 internal and rest, slice across the grain. The roasts run about 9 to 13 pounds, can eat like a poor mans prime rib when not over cooked.
Primos
BGE
Rancher kettle
Klose Mobile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: