FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Fully cooked pit ham help

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mncornfarmer



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20 17 10:55 am    Post subject: Fully cooked pit ham help Reply with quote

Good evening all. I was hoping for a little help with a Christmas ham. I was given a fully cooked, water added, pit ham as a Christmas gift and was immediate asked to prepare it for our family Christmas.

I've looked around for some advice and I've come up with a few ideas but thought I could ask the experts here. I am planning on cross hatch cutting the top to allow more smoke to enter the meat and I am planing on a honey cola Brown sugar glaze of some sort. From there just smoking at around 250 until internal hits 135. Slice and serve. Figure on glazing at around 110 degrees.

Does this sound like it'll work well? Open to suggestions as this is my first ham. Will be cooking on a traeger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26001
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20 17 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not cross cut as the ham gets plenty of smoke and the cross cut just promotes dried meat on the edges. You're on the right track as far as the cook goes but I cook between 275° and 325°. I place mine in a shallow pan bone down and baste with the juices. I hope this helps and Merry Christmas. Very Happy
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mncornfarmer



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20 17 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've mentioned this is a boneless ham. The reason I thought about cross hatching is I've read where people have said they couldn't get the smoke to penetrate the meat of the water added fully cooked hams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26001
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21 17 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mncornfarmer wrote:
I should've mentioned this is a boneless ham. The reason I thought about cross hatching is I've read where people have said they couldn't get the smoke to penetrate the meat of the water added fully cooked hams

The ham will take on smoke regardless. You can try cutting and see if you like it. The only pork I score is picnics or butts that are not pre-cooked.
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2332
Location: Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 17 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most hams I've seen come with directions that say to bake until 165 (not 135). This number also matches up with proper food safety.

Don't worry, it'll get smokey enough.
_________________
Somewhere in Kenya...a village is missing their idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26001
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 17 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
Most hams I've seen come with directions that say to bake until 165 (not 135). This number also matches up with proper food safety.

Don't worry, it'll get smokey enough.

It is a pre-cooked Ham Pit Boss. 140° is the recommended re-heat temp. 135° should be fine to carry over to 140°.
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
animal
BBQ Pro


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 935
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 17 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is already cooked and cured aren't you just reheating it? just asking, done a few but never really noticed a difference from just putting it in the oven, but then I get smokers nose tending the fire all day and maybe I am missing something.
_________________
New Braunfels Offset
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 491
Location: Bangkok Thailand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 17 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it uncovered in the fridge for at least 24 hrs to form a pelicle, smoke to internal holding temp. If you want to glaze it just before its pulled from the smoker pre heat an oven to very high 450-500f, pull the ham and apply glaze pop it in a very hot oven till the glaze carmelizes probably no more that 10-15 minutes watch it close as the sugars will burn quite easily.
_________________
Rod
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2332
Location: Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 17 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:
Most hams I've seen come with directions that say to bake until 165 (not 135). This number also matches up with proper food safety.

Don't worry, it'll get smokey enough.

It is a pre-cooked Ham Pit Boss. 140° is the recommended re-heat temp. 135° should be fine to carry over to 140°.


Maybe I should have assumed that the ham is in the manufacturer's packaging? If so, then the regulation is to reheat to 135 in 2 hours or less.

If the ham did not come out of a manufacturer's package, then the 165 still stands.

But it's at home for his own use...so he can do as he pleases.
_________________
Somewhere in Kenya...a village is missing their idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26001
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23 17 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
Maybe I should have assumed that the ham is in the manufacturer's packaging? If so, then the regulation is to reheat to 135 in 2 hours or less.


No assumption needed he stated it in his original post. Laughing

Mncornfarmer wrote:
Good evening all. I was hoping for a little help with a Christmas ham. I was given a fully cooked, water added, pit ham as a Christmas gift and was immediate asked to prepare it for our family Christmas.

I've looked around for some advice and I've come up with a few ideas but thought I could ask the experts here. I am planning on cross hatch cutting the top to allow more smoke to enter the meat and I am planing on a honey cola Brown sugar glaze of some sort. From there just smoking at around 250 until internal hits 135. Slice and serve. Figure on glazing at around 110 degrees.

Does this sound like it'll work well? Open to suggestions as this is my first ham. Will be cooking on a traeger.

_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2332
Location: Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23 17 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to go back 'n forth...but it was never stated that it was in the original vac sealed package.

But it doesn't really matter any more.

Y'all have a very Merry CHRISTmas!
_________________
Somewhere in Kenya...a village is missing their idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26001
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23 17 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
Not to go back 'n forth...but it was never stated that it was in the original vac sealed package.

But it doesn't really matter any more.

Y'all have a very Merry CHRISTmas!

Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New to you and yours Pit Boss. Very Happy
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mncornfarmer



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25 17 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Its been on the smoker since seven thirty. Going to make the glaze shortly. I've had to keep bumping up my temp on the traeger since its about zero degrees here this morning but I've got plenty of time. It was in the original packaging fwiw. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Have a merry Christmas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group