FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bear roast anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barry
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11 17 6:39 am    Post subject: Bear roast anyone? Reply with quote

Friend gave me a bear roast today.
Any pointers on how to smoke it?
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 17 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters what type of bear it is for sure. A few years back I got like 8 roasts from a black bear shot in the spring. I tried sweating it out in the over for 3 hours at 160 degress then smoking which made it come out nice tender but the taste was soooo gamey. I had another friend follow a recipe from field and stream, then grind it into a pasta sauce with very little luck as well.

I ended up grinding it all with 1/3 bacon and making sausage which you could then enjoy.

Technique wise I treated it like a a brisket flat as it is so lean and that part certainly worked.

good luck!
Natrius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14 17 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like Venison, put it in a light brine for a few hours, then soak it in Milk for several before doing a meat rub. This will take most of the gaminess out of it. Smoke it like you would a piece of Beef.

Hopefully there's some members here with a little more experience at it!

Let us know how it turns out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: