FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotstuff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 10:08 am    Post subject: Blue smoke Reply with quote

How to achieve blue smoke, I take it that you do not wet your wood.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16 17 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin blue smoke is acheived by having a clean burning hot fire. I definetely would not wet my wood as this will cause it to smolder.
A hot coal base is needed to get a clean burning fire with little to no smoke.

What are yoy cooking on and what is your fuel source?

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 17 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
What are yoy cooking on and what is your fuel source?

These are the two questions I was going to ask.
Hotstuff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18 17 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel source is my own charcoal no additives and pecan wood that is 2 years dried. My smoker is a converted commercial oven with pan in the bottom.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 17 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel source sounds like it is ok. I would have questions about the cooker as it is a conversion. How is the cooker set up for air flow? How do you adjsut the vents when cooking? What temps are you trying to achieve?

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Hotstuff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 17 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bottom draft vent for fresh air adjustable and an3” smoke stack with a butterfly flap to adjust smoke flow and I have a small fan at the top to equalize the temps tires in the unit.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 17 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my offset I warm it up with a small hot fire to achieve my coal base....this can take a little while depending on how cold it is.
I preheat my splitz on the fire box so they combust right away when i use them....the key is a small clean hot fire.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 17 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to leav ethe top exhaust vent all the way open. Use the bottom intake to adjsut your temps. Make sure your coal base is well established and fully lit before begiining your cook. If the coal base is well established it should burn clean with very little to no smoke.
Smoke is usually an indication that the fuel isnt burning clean and efficient.Smoke is a result of low oxygen to fuel ratio. This could be the result of wet or damp wood but it sounds like your fuel is dry. I would look at air flow.
Your cooker will have a "sweet spot" where it will perform the best. This will be where your cooker will dial in and run with a clean fire and little to no smoke.
If you add too mich fuel you will get smoke because your cooker cant pull in enough fuel.
My suggestion would be to light 1 chimney of charcoal and once it is completely lit add it to your cooker with all vents completely open. This should burn clean. After it settles in (about 10 minutes or so) see what temp you are running at and see if it is running clean. If its burning clean you can begin closing the bottom vent to lower your cooking temp or slowly add more fuel to raise the temp. If you are adding wood chunks you can preheat them and so they will igine faster and burn cleaner.
You can send me a pm if you have questions and I will see if I can help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: