FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for a cook on a rear quarter hog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PortlandSmoke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 17 6:59 am    Post subject: Ideas for a cook on a rear quarter hog Reply with quote

Hello, there.

I have a whole, skin on, bone in rear 1/4 from a hog. I am not quite sure how/what to break this down in to and get the best cook product out of this big hunk of meat.

I was thinking of separating the shank and braising that separate but the whole rump is kind of a mystery. Should I skin it and just bbq the whole damn thing or break it down into a couple different recipes. Ideas, please?

Thanks.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 17 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a whole fresh ham and a hock. IMHO I would leave the skin on as a ham has less fatty connective tissue
than a butt or shoulder...
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw the whole thing on and freeze up for the winter.

Leave the skin & fat in place, you're gonna need it. Hopefully you have an actual quarter with a bit of the belly & midsection still intact. Otherwise you don't have what we call a quarter in my parts...if it's just the leg, then it's the ham not the quarter.

Either way, save as much fat & grease as you can once you have it off the pit. Depending on how dry the meat is you're going to want to add enough moisture back in to fix that issue (if it is an issue).

Personally, I'd love for you to cook a couple of butts at the same time and mix all the pieces together. That'd be a whole heck of alot of barbecue, but it'll be as close to a whole hog experience as you can get without doing an actual whole, or half, hog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: