FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 Gal Propane Tank build questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 17 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a fan of having to add weight to fix other problems. I think if I had to deal with that, I’d cut off the spring hangers and move the axle back; if you need to go past the current end of the frame just add some channel. I think moving it forward in relation to the tongue is likely to give you some trouble at some point..

Edit: just thinking about it a bit, I think I’d still cut the axle hangers off, then mount it on a completely different rectangular tipubing or channel frame. That’d be easier to build than to make that frame work, in all likelihood.

Last edited by dwilliams35 on Wed Nov 15 17 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 17 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third option get a tandem axle trailer that will work for your cooker.
That trailer will be a bear to try and make work unless you can have the firebox resting right behind the rear end axle. Adding weight to the front is not the answer for weight distribution in this case.

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Third option get a tandem axle trailer that will work for your cooker.
That trailer will be a bear to try and make work unless you can have the firebox resting right behind the rear end axle. Adding weight to the front is not the answer for weight distribution in this case.

I wish I had funds for a tandem axle....lol

The fb will end up about 4in behind the axle by cutting the rearmost support and moving tank forward. I will then weld that support directly into the FB and also put a support just behind the FB. I have a friend who builds trailers and says that it should have plenty of flex support. Gonna be gone for holidays but I'll get plenty of pictures up when I get back and start the modification
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far are you going to be from the coupler with the end of the CC? Just visualizing it from your pictures, that’s going to put it awfully close to the point where left turns are pretty limited..
FlightRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwilliams35 wrote:
How far are you going to be from the coupler with the end of the CC? Just visualizing it from your pictures, that’s going to put it awfully close to the point where left turns are pretty limited..

Bell should be right at joint of angled supports, shouldn't be an issue for turns
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post...

Last edited by dwilliams35 on Thu Nov 16 17 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 17 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're going to tie the rear spring area to the firebox on the left and right side? With that spring length if your weld gives up going down the highway things are going to get bad real quick with no secondary cross member to keep the truck frame in check. If this is your plan I would highly reconsider my options.

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16 17 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
So you're going to tie the rear spring area to the firebox on the left and right side? With that spring length if your weld gives up going down the highway things are going to get bad real quick with no secondary cross member to keep the truck frame in check. If this is your plan I would highly reconsider my options.

It has upgraded spring kit and heavy duty shocks, i will als put a cross member reinforcement directly behind FB to tie frame back together
KMM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 17 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I will then weld that support directly to the fb".
Hmmmm, Let's think that one through a bit. Welding the crossmember onto the firebox will in effect, make the firebox an intricate part of the trailer frame...thereby subjecting it to some pretty intense torsional and potentially excessive G loads. The cumlitave effect will almost certainly (at a minimum) screw up your door alignment, and premature weld failures through out the structure.
If you were planning to park the unit in the back yard and only move it to mow the grass, I wouldn't be worried.
As Kevin has suggested, the optimum solution would be to find a good tandem, which would provide ease of mounting while allow the smoker unit to remain relatively rigid as the axels and springs would be taking the loins share of abuse.

I think the first thing to do is actually build the cooker. Once that is completed, you will have a much better picture of the weight/balance and overall footprint requirements.

Once that is completed, and assuming the Tacoma frame is still in play, I envision the need for fabricating a seperate set of frame rails and cross members to mount the cooker on. (In addition to easing trailer installation, a seperate cooker frame will provide some of the added rigidity necessary to help your cooker survive on the modified trailer configuration."

Once you have all of that done, the trailer modifications required to safely accept the cooker will become much clearer.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18 17 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this, the more I think that trailer arrangement isn’t the best way to go. Car/pickup frames aren’t designed to be a strong trailer arrangement, they are designed to provide adequate (plus safety factor) localized support at a small number of very, very specific body attachment points, and do so with the thinnest and thus cheapest amount of steel possible. Then, as I recall, they’re usually heat treated as a unit to achieve the required tensile strength for design load; a rated tensile strength that is likely destroyed by welding stuff like a smoker to it. Or anything, for that matter. (Like a few pieces of pipe for a tongue)

It’s also designed to do so with a very specific set of cross members and gusseting, some of which are already cut out and some of which you’re cutting out to fit the firebox. It’s designed as a unit, when you remove, modify, or relocate parts it likely can’t handle design load any more.

The points where you’re going to come in and attach the smoker aren’t necessarily the points where that frame was designed to carry a load.

On top of that, would the pickup that this frame was cannibalized from carry the smoker to begin with?

I have no doubt that the spring/axle arrangement would be sufficient, and some shocks are a nice plus, but I really think you’d be miles ahead here to spend a little extra time throwing together a frame that is made to do what you’re wanting to do, instead of just trying to figure out a way to mate two incompatible units together just because that’s what you’ve got at the moment.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 17 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going through too much trouble to "rig" the trailer. That axle needs to be moved back. In order to do that I would never consider tying it into the firebox as an option. Never.

At the very least, extend the frame & box in the junction. Then move the axle.

If that isn't an option, I would suggest you find another trailer that will work.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26 17 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after holidays and back to back shifts on the helicopter I am back to thinking about the smoker build. I am wondering if doing something like pictured above is a good thought? I would build a support brace up and over the fire box out of 3/16 3in or 4in tube. It would be 12in high giving it clearance of about an inch from the firebox and then cutting the lower crossmember out as shown by the x. This would allow for support at the springs and eliminated the FB being welded into the frame. Thoughts/advice? I am actually having alot of fun planning this through and taking my time. I appreciate all the help!
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26 17 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d really like to know just how thick that frame metal was before I even thought about trying to truss it like that.

I’m still in the “really bad idea” camp on frankensteining that frame..
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26 17 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are moving away from making the fb part of the frame. Still think you should do the cooker build first then determine actual CG and weight before putting to much thought in the trailer frame. Regardless of were you run the fb cross member, the end of the frame rails will need to be boxed in with another cross member to provide rigidity.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27 17 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First door cut out and hinges welded on! Feels like a major step. Plan on burning out inside with my fall tree scraps tomorrow.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04 17 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help!!!!! We finished welding the 1 1/2 in flat bar around the door and this happened. How do I bend it back or fix this?
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04 17 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brute force. Chain and a bottle jack works well, if you do some searching there’s a lot of people around here that have posted theirs. I used a 50 ton press.
KMM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04 17 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing a bit of hydraulic power can't fix. Looks like your welder got in a bit of a hurry? You can minimize that by using opposing stitch welds and allowing plenty of time for cooling between welds. Even with all of that, sometimes they will just go off and spring for no other reason than to keep you humble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: