FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akorn vs PBC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelerFanInTexas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 17 10:22 am    Post subject: Akorn vs PBC Reply with quote

Hello all-
First time poster here and new to the whole smoking gig. I'm looking to get my first smoker and want to keep it cheap until I know how much I'll use it. As a result, I've narrowed it down to two inexpensive smokers that seem to get really good reviews despite their price: the Char-Griller Akorn and the PBC.

I have a propane grill that I will continue to use for high-heat applications, so what I'm really looking for is something that will smoke meat well: ribs, brisket, sausage, chicken, turkey, fish.

I've done enough research to be a little dangerous, but have a few remaining questions:

First, my understanding is that the PBC runs a little hotter (275-300) and cooks a little more quickly than the Akorn, which can be kept down in the 225-250 range. From my reading, it seems like the lower/slower is generally preferred for smoking meats - but the consensus favorite among these two for smoking seems to be the PBC. Is it the fact that the drippings drop down into the coals that makes such a big difference?

To what extent can you vary the temperature on the PBC? To what extent will I need to, given the intended uses I've provided above?

It seems like the PBC is almost more of a grill than a smoker since it's using direct heat rather than a deflector of some sort (and using a deflector would kind of kill the benefits of the device noted in my first question above). Do people find that their meat is more cooked in the areas closer to the coals than near the top, or does it actually work as well as people say in providing uniform heat inside the unit? I guess I just don't understand how that's possible, so any information would be helpful.

For the Akorn, if you eliminate the deflector - do you get the same juice-dropping-into-the-coals benefit or is it so small that the direct heat is too intense and you lose the low/slow element of smoking? Has anybody tried to do low/slow on their Akorn?

I assume I would have seen comments if this were the case, but does the meat ever fall off the hooks on the PBC? It seems like with meat-falling-off-the-bone ribs, the potential exists for a big slab to just tear loose. Yes/no?
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 17 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a super-premium propane grill with massive burners, the Acorn will give you much better heat, and will be a better tool for searing and grilling.
KMM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I Know this will get some purist smoke panties in a bind, but given you are looking for something to learn on, why not consider the MES? About $300 at Sams club....will get you set up for decent low temp experimentation. If you like it, there is a whole world of stick burners waiting for you to try. I have an obscene collection of smokers, roasters,griddles, and grills..., but still use my MES(s) for down and easy Q.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with your first two choices...

You are on the right track with your questions.

To me the Akorn seems to be a bit more versatile but you know what they say................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: