FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

odd charcoal issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agaffer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 6:57 am    Post subject: odd charcoal issue Reply with quote

I have been using Royal Oak for years on my BGE and Stumps and have always been pleased with it. However, I have had three cooks in a row now where the charcoal burnt straight down but didn't spread to the outside pieces.
At the same time each cook has been on a new ceramic grill with a CyberQ which is also new to me. I have always used a BBQ Guru DigiQ in the past.
So, a couple of questions has anybody else noticed a change in Royal Oak? Also, has anybody else felt that the CyberQ does not hold the temp steady the way the DigiQ does?
SmokingPiney

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: odd charcoal issue Reply with quote

Agaffer wrote:
At the same time each cook has been on a new ceramic grill with a CyberQ which is also new to me.

Two big variables changed here and you suspect the fuel....

New cooker / new controller - new way of cooking. Don't blame the fuel off the bat.

You need to learn that new cooker and controller.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds more like an air flow issue rather than a fuel issue. With all the changes I would try a few more cooks and make changes along the way to see how each change affects your burn and temps. You may try to start the cook by placing the lit coals around the outside of your charcoal pile and let it burn in.

If you really think its the Royal Oak, you can use some of the same charcoal in the BGE and see if it performs the same as it always has.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Agaffer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 17 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. I asked in order to try and narrow down which variable was the problem. It wasn't the charcoal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: