FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 17 9:37 pm    Post subject: Turkey timing Reply with quote

My wife and are hosting a "Friendsgiving" this Saturday for a group of our friends. I have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to cooking the turkey. Last year I started the turkey off in the smoker and finished it in the oven. The results were good, but not great. One of the issues that I had is that my smoker (a cheap propane vertical smoker from Lowes) could not get over 225-250 degrees. As a result it took a little longer to cook than expected and I think it would've been just about perfect if it had just a little more time in the oven. I did make sure that it was done and that it got up to 140 in less than 4 hours. People liked it, but I just couldn't help but feel like it wasn't quite what I had hoped.

Fast forward to this year. I had planned to have upgraded my smoker by now, but life happened and I still have the same smoker. Originally I was planning on buying an oil less fryer and cooking the bird in there. But, a monkey wrench has been thrown into that plan, because now I have to work 10-3 that day. The oil less fryer thing is out the window because I'll be gone too long to put it in before I leave and take it out when I get home. I also wont have time to cook it when I get home before our guests arrive. Also, my wife does not touch raw poultry, so having her put it in while I am at work is not an option. So, I am stuck in a bit of a pickle and could use some advice. I know I could just cook it in the oven, but what fun is that???

One idea that I had would be to put in on the smoker before I leave for work, say 9:15ish and let it smoke at 225 while I am work. Then come home, about 3:30ish and move it to the oil-less fryer and finish it off in there. I'm guessing another hour or two would be plenty of time. My only concern would be monitoring the internal temp of the bird while I am at work. I could also finish in the oven, but I like the idea of the crispy skin you get "fryer".

Here are some other details:
Turkey: 19.87 pounds, currently defrosting, will go into brine Wednesday night, will come out Friday night to dry in the fridge
Available equipment: Smoker, Gas grille, oven, oil less fryer (not purchased yet)

So, what would y'all do?
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 17 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a turkey that big at 225 makes me nervous but maybe someone with more insight to food safety can chime in. Can you bring the smoker to work Smile ??

If it was me, I would just rock the oven and have a yummy bird.
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 17 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and everything else will get it done too quickly. I'm thinking the oven is going to be my best bet Sad At least that way I can have it in the pan ready to go and the wifey can put it in while I am at work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: