FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did everyone go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30 17 4:33 am    Post subject: Where did everyone go? Reply with quote

Does everyone know how to open a BBQ joint or did we scare everyone off with the realities of small business? I enjoyed trying to help others here over the years.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30 17 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question. We didn't post much, but sure enjoyed reading
enduro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 17 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should bring this up.

A couple of years ago, I had given very serious thought to retiring from my career of nearly 30 years and opening a small roadside bbq stand. It had been in the back of my mind for several years at that point, but timing was never right. I collected a variety of equipment and researched the particulars of what it would take to make it all happen, and realized that I really didn't want to commit to work as hard as what it would take to make it successful at this point in my life. This site and others in the business were in fact crucial in helping me come to that conclusion. For that, I want to thank you and the others that told it like it really is.

At the end of the day, I consider it one of the best financial decisions that I ever made by not jumping in with both feet. I do know of the realities of running a small business, and now I'm content with continuing to bbq for family and friends and having fun doing it.

Thanks again for the honesty and not just sugar coating the positives.
HC_Smokehouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 17 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posts you, Harry, and Mr. Tony have shared over the years have been instrumental in helping me get my vending/catering business off the ground, and becoming successful. the next step for us is a catering trailer, and eventually into a brick and mortar (while keeping the trailer)...and I know I'll be back here, and probably asking questions as that becomes a reality.
HC_Smokehouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 17 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by HC_Smokehouse on Tue Dec 12 17 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
FreebirdTPark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11 17 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started vending last June. Prior to that, I spent over a year and a couple of hundred hours at least going over your, Harry, Mr Tony’s and a few others posts. Going back and reading everything you all had put on this Forum. You guys gave good advice, saved me from some mistakes. Thank you!
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 17 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussions in Commercial BBQ used to be awesome with the Shotgun Pete's and the Central Asian stories as some of the highlights over the years.

Unfortunately, I think Commercial BBQ is dying with The Smoke Ring: it has come down to a bunch of guys posting pictures of what they are having for dinner, and nothing much else. And there is Instagram for that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: