FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry Rubs - Sprinkle or Rub?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apn73

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02 17 8:52 am    Post subject: Dry Rubs - Sprinkle or Rub? Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm getting ready to smoke up a Boston butt for pulled pork, and I've been browsing through my various barbecue books in preparation for that. I was reading Piece, Love, and Barbecueby Mike Mills, and he said not to literally rub it on, but to sprinkle instead. The thinking is that rubbing clogs the pores of the meat and doesn't let the smoke and rub work it's true magic. Have any of you ever experimented with this? It sounds legit, but does it really make any difference? This is probably like asking which spark plugs are best over in one of the automotive forums Laughing
Thanks,
Adam.
Simple UDS - love this thing!
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02 17 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ever experimented with it. I usually sprinkle my rubs on and then rub them in. I have never put any thought into the pores opening or clogging up but my thought would be that any pores would by in the outer layer of skin and not on the internal side of the meat. These dilemmas make cooking too complicated for me so I just choose the method that makes me happy and apply heat and smoke and enjoy the finished product.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
apn73

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04 17 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
These dilemmas make cooking too complicated for me so I just choose the method that makes me happy and apply heat and smoke and enjoy the finished product.

Amen to simple. I'm experimenting with it today actually, will report what I've learned. I'm almost done actually, temperature was 170 an hour ago, so should be at pulling temp for an early Sunday dinner. Cool
Simple UDS - love this thing!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04 17 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seldom if ever actually rub the rub in. Just put on a consistent covering and rock and roll. My two cents.

--Dan
MountainMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04 17 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
I seldom if ever actually rub the rub in. Just put on a consistent covering and rock and roll. My two cents.

--Dan

Me too, me too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: