FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole Hog #2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28 17 10:05 pm    Post subject: Whole Hog #2 Reply with quote

Did up another 70lb pig this weekend so not really a hog, I guess. Went for 275 degrees this time and it made a big difference in the texture verse 225. Mixed all the meat up together aside from the loins (got to just slice these and pass it around. so tender) and served it to the hungry folks!

Made up some Checharones as well by boiling, then smoking then going hot direct for 45 minutes. This picture is before the direct grilling and sauce. Was a fun way to use up a bunch of yummy cut offs.

And some PP Nachos with Doritos because the beers kicked in and the fight was SOOOOOOO late.

Thanks for peeping.
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 17 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really delicious. Well done on the cook. What did you season the pig with? Also are you using photo bucket to host your photos. I'm trying to find a way without being forced to pay to host photos
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 17 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I injected with ACV, Apple Juice and spices then dusted with Smoking Guns Hot. Skin was heavily salted to try bring the moisture out but the temps are still too low to get it really nice as I am smoking indirect. I sauced with some homemade KC style sauce then added more ACV & smoking guns while I chopped everything so all the meat was "flavored" but far from sauced.

I refuse to pay for the image hosting so I have been rolling without an account using https://imgbb.com/ Take the BB Codes and drop them right into the posting back end. I make sure the pics are too size before i upload to that server. I wouldn't do this with any personal or family pics but BBQ is open to all.
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 17 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 17 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good looking pig.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Madmike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18 17 8:19 pm    Post subject: Nice to see it used Reply with quote

Mike nice to see the Smoker used!! that makes 4 pigs so far, the 2 I did as test runs plus your 2!!
Mike Very Happy
JohnH12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18 17 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the cook grate on your smoker. It looks like it's much easier to keep clean vs an expanded metal one like I have.
Oh... The pig looks great! That's on my bucket list.
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19 17 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any pic
EAT BACON
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20 17 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good.

Being from Eastern NC I'm used to seeing golden-to-brown whole hogs cooked over coals. Normally when guys "smoke" these they come out very dark...almost black. I cringe when I see that. But yours is beautiful! Great job.

For your skin...next time don't give up on it. Once you have the meat out of the shell you can put the skin on a sheet pan (I like putting it on a rack inside the pan), and put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. You want it to be just crisp when it comes out of the oven...it will crisp up further as it cools over the next few minutes.

You can still have some crispy skin...you just have to adjust your process!

I like mine sprinkled on the fat side with a little vinegar sauce and some salt. Best part of the whole dang pig!!!
SmokingPiney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20 17 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking hog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: