FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking a separated packer brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtort81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 17 7:52 am    Post subject: Smoking a separated packer brisket Reply with quote

I am smoking a 15 pound packer brisket for the first time. First time smoking anything really. The brisket is separated. I was planning on smoking it at 225. I've heard an hour per pound but every brisket is different. Does the following sound like a good plan.

Place point on top of flat and smoke at 225 until internal temp is 200. Potentially wrap in foil if temp isn't increasing.
Wrap flat in foil and towel and place in cooler for 2 hours
Cube up point and put BBQ sauce on them and smoke for another two hours.
I'm thinking 12 to 15 hours for everything.

I'm sorry if this is somewhere else. I searched and searched and couldn't really find specifics.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 17 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in no way a brisket expert but if they are separated, I would cook and monitor them as two separate pieces of meat. Here is a link to a Brisket I cooked last year following advice from another ringer (KAM) who cooks brisket on a regular basis and does a great job every time. My brisket turned out great.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69966&highlight=brisket

You can also do a search and get multiple results that contain info that may be helpful.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
xtort81

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08 17 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brutus. All in all how long did it take including the resting period?
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08 17 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best I remember on this cook it was about 10 hours total. The 3 things that I pay close attention to is to pan and wrap it at 165 and then let it cook until it is probe tender. Your temp probe should slide in and out without resistance. This could happen anywhere between 195-210. My experience is usually around 205-210. Let the brisket rest until it gets down to 165 before slicing. I wouldn't try to do it by time but it should hit 165 at about 4-5 hours in and then another 2-3 to hit the point of tenderness and a couple hours resting. I think I ran my around 250-260. Times may vary so be patient.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
xtort81

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 17 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat came out a little dry but I turned the point into burnt ends and those were amazing. I don't think my smoker hit the temp it was set at. I had an extra probe just free in the smoker...it was always a little cooler than what the smoker said. I'm not sure if it was dry because I over cooked it or cut too much fat off. I only cut out some hard fat because I don't think the butcher separated the flat from the point correctly. All in all I was happy with my first time. Next time I'll set the smoker to 275 expecting it to reach 250. Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: