FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 250 gallon propane tank build questins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wreched75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 17 9:55 am    Post subject: New 250 gallon propane tank build questins Reply with quote

Hey guys

So I've been on a hunt for a 250 gallon propane tank here in Cali and I finally got one. My question is about the fire box. I really don't want to screw it up with the size or the opening between the cook chamber and fire box. I know some people cut out the bell and put a 1/4 plate for fill. Is that a better portion vs not cutting it. I just recently built my first RF offset and it was horrorendous, mim constantly fighting temps and keep it running evenly but I see what the problem was and quite frankly it's really not worth the time or effort to fix hence the upgrade.

I'd like to go with the more traditional route vs rf this time around I feel it will make my life a little easier. Any insight or help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 17 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a warmer on top your firebox then removing the dome is a plus. If you are just building a regular offset with tuning plates or just open then leaving the dome allows you to connect without taking off the dome.
I took the dome off my Hybrid for adding a warmer I like it that way. Here is a link to the build without all the posts.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60519

Hybrid Cooker
wreched75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 17 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KAM!!! Couple of questions for you, how high is the cooking grate from the opening of the cook chamber, also how many tuning plates did you need for your pit? If I left the bell on but made and ext on the opposite side for the exhaust how would I compensate for that extra volume? Also do you suggest an adequate fire box size, thinking about going square. Sorry for the barrage of questions just want to make sure I build it good this time around
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 17 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wreched75 wrote:
Thanks KAM!!! Couple of questions for you, how high is the cooking grate from the opening of the cook chamber, also how many tuning plates did you need for your pit?
The top of the grate is 5.5" from the opening. I have 8 plates when running reverse flow and use 7 while just tuning plates.

If I left the bell on but made and ext on the opposite side for the exhaust how would I compensate for that extra volume?
If you are just talking about a plenum for the exhaust to rest on just use the regular numbers do not compensate.

Also do you suggest an adequate fire box size, thinking about going square.
I like slightly over sized and will go as large as 25% but no larger it just depends on the build I am working on.

Sorry for the barrage of questions just want to make sure I build it good this time around
You are very welcome. I am glad to help. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
wreched75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25 17 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!! So i ran my calculations on feldons calc, but the major obstacle I ran into with my RF was the hole between firebox and cook chamber.

My problem was how to make is wide and tall enough to get the square inches.

My calc show 20.68in but not sure what that means lol forgive me. But is that suppose to be 20" height?

heres the link to the cal
http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html?cc=0,0,250,0,0,0,57750.00,19250.00&fb=28,25,30,0,0,21000.00,19250.00,109.1&ch=6,1050.00,34.68&fi=0,0,0,63.00,0&fc=14.63,20.68,168.00
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25 17 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wreched75 wrote:
Thanks again!! So i ran my calculations on feldons calc, but the major obstacle I ran into with my RF was the hole between firebox and cook chamber.

My problem was how to make is wide and tall enough to get the square inches.

My calc show 20.68in but not sure what that means lol forgive me. But is that suppose to be 20" height?

heres the link to the cal
http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html?cc=0,0,250,0,0,0,57750.00,19250.00&fb=28,25,30,0,0,21000.00,19250.00,109.1&ch=6,1050.00,34.68&fi=0,0,0,63.00,0&fc=14.63,20.68,168.00

That is 20.68" wide. x 10" 3/8" tall. I would go 23" wide x 11.5" tall and have a 1.5" grease bridge.

Hybrid Cooker
wreched75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25 17 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one i promise lol, for your baffle plates are each the same size in width? and what about the gap between each of them are they are all evenly spaced? Im worried about not getting enough smoke to the meat if the gaps (if any) would obstruct it. Thanks again KAM!!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25 17 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wreched75 wrote:
Last one i promise lol, for your baffle plates are each the same size in width? and what about the gap between each of them are they are all evenly spaced? Im worried about not getting enough smoke to the meat if the gaps (if any) would obstruct it. Thanks again KAM!!

They are all the same width 7" I believe. The gaps vary on my cooker. Starting at the firebox it is like the first plate closed to the deflector then 3/8" 3/8" 1" 1.5" 1.5"1.5". You will get plenty of smoke dont worry. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29 17 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the math right on the 'half moon'...cause I remember....

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: