FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brisket question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
primsmokebbq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13 17 1:27 pm    Post subject: brisket question Reply with quote

We are about to open a new bbq restaurant in the san diego area. At this moment we are trying to find the perfect brisket. We are trying to go the all natural route when it comes to our meat. Our choice for brisket is Myers all natural which is 10lb and ceder river which is 12lb give or take a pound. My question, is 10-12lb the right size to cook in a restaurant or should i try to find something in the 13-15lb range? Its becoming hard to find a packer cut all natural here in San Diego, or does that matter? We are using the south pride srg 400.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 17 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the definition of All Natural? As far as I know all untreated meat would be All Natural. Do you pay a premium for that label? And how many customers are willing to pay extra if you do. It would be nice to sell organic free range everything but not enough customers in my market will pay double the price or more. BBQ is all about bringing less desirable cuts of meat to exceptional levels. I would never smoke anything less than choice or the equivalent, in my experience anything less has an off taste. Boutique restaurants generally have short lifespans. I would suggest mastering the fundamentals and art of Classic BBQ if you want to make a living doing this and dabble with specials in the gourmet segment. Start by being legit! Good luck. I prefer a larger brisket 16-18 lb., better yield for the labor.
Pork-O-Rican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15 17 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here my 2 cent for what it worth, We have B BBQ trailer in Fl open last September. We looked at what would made us different in that area, eat all the local product and brisket in our county was for the most part bad. We look at serving Myers and found the local rep high price we love the product and are looking to get something like it. I know it popular because of Aron Franklin but he smokes 500 units a week 18-20 lbs and smaller. We have settle for a prime product that taste great and cooks well and the price per pound fit our goals. you need to keep your profit in mine first and for most there many good products at a fair price.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 17 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the all natural grass fed beef I was sent as a sample was the most horrid brisket I have ever dealt with.

I hated cooking anything under 20 pounds, but maybe that was just me.

The best beef I have had in the last 24 months was Creekstone Farms, and National Beef brands.
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 17 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
the all natural grass fed beef I was sent as a sample was the most horrid brisket I have ever dealt with.

I hated cooking anything under 20 pounds, but maybe that was just me.

The best beef I have had in the last 24 months was Creekstone Farms, and National Beef brands.

I'm with Harry the bigger the better

Gasser!
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28 17 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fortunate to be able to get Star Ranch Choice Angus briskets from IBP from our local supplier. Usually 4 to a case and total weight around 80 lbs.. Cook up nice in about 9 to 10 hours at 275/300 degrees. Flat slices up nice and the deckle looks good as well. Minimal amount of fat... Not much waste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: