FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For anyone just starting with an offset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovinreallife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 17 9:13 am    Post subject: For anyone just starting with an offset Reply with quote

here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccuk0FB4F1g
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 17 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Lovinreallife, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
Two things I noticed in your video that I do not agree with.
1. You do not need a water pan in your smoker to help keep meat moist the meat itself creates the moisture.
2. If you have to leave the firebox door open to achieve your target temps the cooker is flawed in design.
I am not knocking your video by any means it just does not state the facts about offset cookers.

Hybrid Cooker
Brutalgrandpa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 17 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the video. I agree with k.a.m. I have tried with and without water pans and haven't noticed a difference but that may be a debate like foil or no foil on ribs. However, every stick burner I have had, if you leave the door wide open then there is no air control and the fire just burns real hot and you cannot maintain temps in the cooking chamber. I would have to choke that off to accommodate the high air flow. The more air flow the higher the flame is going to be, which in turn is going to have a higher temp.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 17 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only open my firebox door for maybe 30 seconds when adding a split.....
just to make sure my wood ignites cleanly then its closed....
and I use the door vents to control my draft.....exhaust stays wide open.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Lovinreallife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 17 8:26 am    Post subject: Thanks for the replies javascript:emoticon(':)') Reply with quote

I keep the door open to have maximum air flow and yes that does make it burn hotter. I adjust for that by burning a smaller fire with smaller pieces of wood i have split to keep the temp what i want. The whole reason is to burn a really clean fire. The water pan just keeps the cook chamber humid there is science to it but The humidity helps the smoke form a good bark and having the water pan is almost a buffer between the fire and meat so just in case it should keep any edges from burning. Its always worked great for me.

Those are just the reasons for why i do what i do. Smile
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 17 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all offsets are created equal Lovinreallife. Looks like you have an OK Joe 20" x 42" you could do some mods to that cooker and increase her efficiency.
Here is a link to one I changed up for my son-in-law.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31210

My current build Little Mama is a 24" x 55" chamber with a 6" exhaust. I run my intakes barely open like a #2 pencil width to get her burning clean at 250°/ 275°
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67710
I agree with do what works best for you but you cannot truly make a video on how a cooker should be run because there are too many designs and the way they like to be ran. Your video is a good starting point but not bible for how to run an offset. Very Happy
I never use water in my cookers and I turn out pretty good Q.
Lots of bark and plenty of moisture. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Lovinreallife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 17 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No yea defiantly! all the video is is a starting point for people just starting out. your making great points, there are so many factors that go into it that you cant really even do the same thing every time even the weather plays a part. Im not saying what I do is the only way, or even the best way just trying to spread general knowledge and experience.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 17 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovinreallife wrote:
No yea defiantly! all the video is is a starting point for people just starting out. your making great points, there are so many factors that go into it that you cant really even do the same thing every time even the weather plays a part. Im not saying what I do is the only way, or even the best way just trying to spread general knowledge and experience.

I agree. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Brutalgrandpa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 17 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anything, this will really help noobies understand that every smoker is different when it comes to a stick burner. Also, one method on one, is absolutely wrong on another. LOL I have watched guys mod the stick burner I have, followed videos and mine will never act like theirs. I have bought aftermarket baffles for it and lit it up like others and my smoker laughs at me. On mine, once the coal bed is there, if you run it wide open, even with small cut wood, it is going to flame up and run hot. Also, the smaller cut wood will tend to burn quicker which requires more time feeding it. Once I get mine settled down, I can put two big logs on it, close it up and it will stay right around 250 all day long. But, that was me making about 15 different attempts using every single idea I had watched or read about. At the end of the day, as long as it works for you, that is all that matters. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: