FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will this firebox work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnew17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 17 10:21 pm    Post subject: Will this firebox work? Reply with quote

I built a 250 gal RF a few years back exact to the recommended specs of ppl on this forum and the calculator. Works great. I have a smaller steel drum given to me that was once a charcoal griller. Its 1/4" and in great shape. I would like to turn it into a RF smoker. Like my 250 this will be a budget build on materials i acquire free, have on hand, or find at a really good price! My question relates to my firebox size. The drum is 18.5" x 28" (end to end). Of course the ends are rounded off and from "seam to seam" its 24". I cant remember which measurement you are supposed to use for the calculator. I have a scrap piece of 1/4" plate that is justbig ejought for me to get a 13" square firebox out of. If i go by the 28" length on the calculator with thr 13"x13"x13" firebox i get 87.6% and if i use the 24" i get 102.2%. If i remember correctly my firebox for my 250 was 125%.

My questions are, which length measurement do i go ofd of and will my firebox be big enough?

I know neither is ideal but with a cooker this small i doubt it would take too much to heat it up.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 17 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measure total length and even though you are on the smaller end with a cooker that small just plug in the numbers and make the openings and exhaust what it says and you will be fine.

Hybrid Cooker
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12 17 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The drum is 18.5" x 28"

I come up with 31 gallons.

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
bnew17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12 17 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I measure total length and even though you are on the smaller end with a cooker that small just plug in the numbers and make the openings and exhaust what it says and you will be fine.

Thanks Kevin. You helped me immensely on my 250 gal and it turned out really good. Ill do the same on this one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: