FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boneless pork butts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 7:33 am    Post subject: Boneless pork butts Reply with quote

We've been smoking and selling roadside for almost three years... It's been great. We have always, I repeat always, used bone-in butts with excellent results. I just changed suppliers and order 3 cases of bone-in butts this past week. Cooked 12 yesterday and the other 12 today. Didn't realize until it was too late that one case ( 8 butts) were boneless. Put everything in the smoker at 7:30 this morning and cooked all day until 4:00 this afternoon. Checked every bodies temperature and all were right at 200 to 205 degrees. Pulled them and let rest for 1 1/2 hours. Started pulling and 7 out of the 8 boneless were not even close to being cooked. The bone-in were fine just like usual.

We ended up pulling them as best we could and put them in pans and plan on putting them back in the smoker next Tuesday... hoping and praying this will finish cooking and make them "pullable".

Don't know what else to do. Hoping someone else may have an idea of what happened and will re-cooking be the right thing to do? Thanks for any input!
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 16 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the bone heats up it draws the heat inside the roast with it. Kind of a cooking from the inside out assistant.
I have never used boneless as the bone is always a indicator of it being done. If you can pull the bone out clean you always know it will pull like butter.

I rest my pork butts often times overnight in my Cambro insulated food keeper. When I take them out the next morning the bone falls right out. Doesn't take much pulling they almost pull themselves.

You should have no problem reheating those butts and cooking them thru.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 16 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's been our usual experience... We're going to re-do the boneless butts on Sunday and hope for the best. Figure about 4 hours at 275 should finish them up. Guess I'm going to have to check every case we buy to make sure we get bone in...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 16 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you freeze them in the pans Ken?

Hybrid Cooker
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 16 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean. We prepped them fresh. Injected the evening before, then dry rub in the morning... went into the smoker at 7:30am and came out around 4:00. When we found they were difficult to pull we panned them and put them in the refrigerator waiting to re cook.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 16 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
Not sure what you mean. We prepped them fresh. Injected the evening before, then dry rub in the morning... went into the smoker at 7:30am and came out around 4:00. When we found they were difficult to pull we panned them and put them in the refrigerator waiting to re cook.

I was wondering if when you panned them to hold if you froze them for later cooking. The whole holding them in the fridge for a week then reheating was what I was concerned with.

Hybrid Cooker
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 16 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now I understand. Yes my wife put them in the freezer and we'll take them out to thaw a day or so before we re-cook them.

I don't worry too much about keeping things in our fridge. we have two dedicated units in our commercial kitchen that are set at 38 degrees. Meats keep for quite awhile. Also we do not keep raw chicken in these units. My butcher/processor tells me you can keep for 7 to 10 days without a problem.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 16 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal. Very Happy I wasn't sure you had commercial fridges that is why I was wondering. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20 16 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is Sunday... a bit breezy and light rain but we fired up the smoker and put 7 pans of the under cooked pork butt in to see if we can save it.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 16 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved all 7 pans. Smoked for 4 hours, covered, at 250. They came out perfect. Pulled just like they were supposed to.
That's $125.00 worth of meat good to go!
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 16 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you,man
EAT BACON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: