FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing out the smoker over the weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrStik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 1:07 am    Post subject: Testing out the smoker over the weekend Reply with quote

Ok. this is the second time I have used my electric smoker. The brand is Range Master (if I recall) that my brother bought me from Aldi.

First time I used it, I didn't feel I got enough smoke. I smelled it, but my applewood chips were not smoldering and I never had to change it. Food didn't have too much of a smoky flavor, just a hint. I placed a cast iron plate/pan directly on the heating element.

Fast forward to Saturday. I had 3 types of woods. Chips, pellets and pretty much sawdust. This time I put the wood on the pan and covered with foil, and poked holes into it for the smoke to come out. I tried the sawdust first. Smoked like a charm, but got used up pretty fast (about 20-30 mins). I then used the pellets and that smoked pretty well and was used up as quickly as the saw dust. Final application, I put in the wood chips, and it did look like it was going to work, but I had bacon fat drip into the chip pan and a flare up. So I finished the last 30 without smoke.

The flavor was there, and I am somewhat pleased with the results. Now there were a couple things I did different this time. First, I covered the chip pan with foil, I would assume this created a hotter environment that caused more smoldering? Second the weather was a lot cooler Saturday than about a month ago when I had my first attempt. Third, I didn't latch the door all the way. This allowed more heat to escape. This caused the heating element to stay on longer and allowed the temperature inside to maintain 225-235 much better.

Still a learning process for me, and even though this smoker is not the greatest, I like tinkering with it while it smokes. But I do want to upgrade to a WSM someday.. =)
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider adding a smoke generator. You can't run one when you are running high temps but if you want to add smoke you can run your cooker at 225 or below for a couple of hours and use the generator to impart flavor and then bump your temp up

This is a 12" A-Maze-N Smoking Tube. Fill with pellets, light it at the open end, allow 10 minutes for it to stabilize, lay on side in smoker. The 12" puts out a very nice volume of smoke for 6.5-7 hours. They also make a 6" that will burn 2.5-3 hours. I used it the first time for bacon and was extremely pleased. They make a tray as well that follows a maze while burning pellets. Look em up.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: