FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASCAR anybody?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrStik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 11:47 am    Post subject: NASCAR anybody? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am fairly new here and have been a NASCAR fan for a good decade. My friends all think I am weird for my love of NASCAR. Maybe it is because I am from Southern California, but mostly it is probably because I am Asian.

Anyways I am totally looking forward to the race in Homestead. I am rooting for JJ to win his 7th....!!
enduro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of this years final 4 are a good story. I don't have a real favorite, just a fan of the race in general. I do love the chase format, and hope Nascar doesn't mess around with it.
MrStik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pros and cons to the format, but for me it is mostly pros. It causes a lot of drama and the last race in Phoenix is the reason why this format works. 3 cars were basically racing for their chase lives and 2 pulled it out. Would have loved to see Bowman win his first race, but he still finished strong, along with Chase Elliot.
enduro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I would advocate for it, but I was surprised that the Phoenix race actually ended with just one green white checker attempt. Figured that Harvick would pull something out of his hat to give him another shot at the win. Not sorry it didn't happen, just surprised.
MrStik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah late in the race when he started to get up there, I figured he would do something cheap to find a way to win. But I bet he saw that his car was (for once) not strong enough to win.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 16 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a die hard nascar fan for many years. I quit watching a year or so after they went to the chase format. I am sure there is no conspiracy there but when you change the system and then the same guy wins the next 5 years in a row, it seemed fishy to me. Ill see if I can find a link but I remember the 2nd year after the chase they showed how the points would have ended with the old scoring system and JJ would not have one both of those.

I also hate all the stuff they try to do just to make it better for TV, lucky dog, tail end of line, starting at front of pack, etc. I prefer or more pure form. If you are a lap down, you are a lap down. If you are leading the points and you crash during qualifying then you don't race that week. Just me though.
MrStik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 16 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin-lowe wrote:
I was a die hard nascar fan for many years. I quit watching a year or so after they went to the chase format. I am sure there is no conspiracy there but when you change the system and then the same guy wins the next 5 years in a row, it seemed fishy to me. Ill see if I can find a link but I remember the 2nd year after the chase they showed how the points would have ended with the old scoring system and JJ would not have one both of those.

I also hate all the stuff they try to do just to make it better for TV, lucky dog, tail end of line, starting at front of pack, etc. I prefer or more pure form. If you are a lap down, you are a lap down. If you are leading the points and you crash during qualifying then you don't race that week. Just me though.

I completely understand where you are coming from with this. In my opinion, the chase format changed the way the crew chiefs think and prepare. If you need to be (at the time) in the top 10 in points to make the chase, then the crew chiefs can just skate into the chase. Once they feel they have enough points, they can experiment with and test different setups that will hopefully gain them an edge during the chase races, which are the only races that really count. So that could explain why Jimmie and Chad did to take advantage of the chase formats.

Some of the trends I have seen is that Jimmie would be strong in the beginning of the year, weak or "struggling" in the summer, and race very strong in the final 10 races. I do not believe that is because he sucks at summer races, but more so that the team is trying new and different things.

That is just my 2 cents.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 16 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we watch about any kind of racing ass long as it has a motor.

I like the way it use to be in NASCAR, racing for points and consistency.

i am leading a fantasy NASCAR and hope to win today.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 16 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a pretty die-hard fan, but once they started playing with the system I began losing interest. After that yellow with 15 to go yesterday - for a car with a flat tire 100% out of traffic, on the skirt and rolling, THEN, 5 laps later #32[?] crashes hard and it takes them 10 seconds to think about putting out the yellow...I have NO use for it anymore.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
MrStik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 16 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caution with the flat, there was debris on the track.

On the last caution of the race, Stenhouse spun. I was surprised at how long it took for the caution to come out. He didn't hit anything and was off the track, and everyone cleared him. They seemed to have waited to see if he can get going again, but the leaders were coming back around.

Again, I also thought it took too long to call that last caution, but the flat tire, they called the caution for debris from the flat tire.

Congrats to Jimmie who fought through adversity and went from 40th to 1st. Just took a few laps to get there...
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 16 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a track down the street from me ,,, never been

TomCat BBQ team
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01 17 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Nap-Car? No thanks........gave up on that about 5 years ago. I am a race fan......I work on dirt late models and have worked on everything else under the sun on dirt. Watching NASCAR to me is like watching the WWE. I think it's dumb. If I want to watch races, I go to my local dirt track for the show. At least those guys care and aren't a bunch of crybabies...........Sorry, I can't stand the chase format. How about we have 5 mandated cautions where the driver has to get out of their car and do 5 laps around his car while balancing a cup of coffee on his head? It's about as absurd.......They want Danica Patrick to win so bad that they will literally put up with any amount of BS she comes up with. If I owned it, she'd never be allowed to race again.

I honestly can't see how Brian France could have screwed it up anymore..........
Weber 22.5 Performer
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 17 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it on yesterday, Nationwide...wanst paying too close of attention, but when even the announcers were questioning no yellow with car limping along after smacking the wall, it confirmed my dislike for the 'powers that be'....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 17 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:

I honestly can't see how Brian France could have screwed it up anymore..........

Heh well someone did with the new points system using stages in every race Confused Shocked
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01 17 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though Brian is taking all the heat for the new BS rules he only has a 25% interest in NASCAR. His sister also has 25% and they have an uncle with a 50% share. Brian has to have everything approved by the sister and uncle. Just found this out recently.

I gave up on NASCAR years ago when they became more concerned with being PC than they were with good racing.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04 17 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the first half of the race. When I did get in I turned it on and they said something about the winner of the "first segment". I had no idea what they were talking about but I knew I had heard enough. I turned it off until the end.

The only reason I even watched the end is that I am in a random pool where I have 2 drivers each race. If it weren't for that I would never watch another minute of it. You would think one of the geniuses over would look back and see the ratings that have been falling year after year since they started jacking with chases/formats etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: