FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ratio of Liquid in your sausage mix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 16 10:41 pm    Post subject: Ratio of Liquid in your sausage mix Reply with quote

I am going to make some breakfast sausage but with ground chicken breast (ya ya I know, LOL) which may tend to make it a bit dry.

What would be good ratio of liquid whether it be wine, water etc be per pound of meat to give it a bit of moisture? I want to add the spice mixture to the water for even distribution.

Whats your opinion on adding say a few tablespoons of EVOO to the mix?

Thanks all.............
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 16 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no set value for liquid but a general guideline as per Len Poli is to use liquid at a ratio of 2.5% ... in grams that would be 11.34 grams per 1lb of sausage. In a cooked/smoked sausage that ratio can vary widely from 1% up to 10%. For the fresh chicken sausage stick with 2.5% and see if it works for you.

As for olive oil or any other liquid fat the short answer is no, never use it. The fat will not be absorbed and will seperate and will affect the bind. It is also not recommended to use soft fats such as beef tallow or lard as the same thing will happen. I would suggest using chicken thighs with the fat and even the skin ground in. If you must add fat use pork fatback or some additional chicken fat (the butcher may even have some trimmed fat for you if you ask). Chicken breast by itself will end up being very dry and crumbly and you will not get a good bind/texture.

Hope this helps!
Nutsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 16 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ComradeQ for your input. I was wondering about the chicken thighs and you answered my question might end up having a bit more flavor, will certainly follow your advise thanks and I will let you know how these turn out.

Very Happy
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
Nutsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 16 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the finished product. The taste was good as was the bind. I used 1 pound chicken tenders and 1 pound of chicken thighs add the spices along with ice water at 2.5% and mixed for two minutes or so. The flavor was good however I will increase some of the spices for my taste. It was juicy as well with the added water.

Thanks CommradeQ for your advise.
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 16 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:
Here is the finished product. The taste was good as was the bind. I used 1 pound chicken tenders and 1 pound of chicken thighs add the spices along with ice water at 2.5% and mixed for two minutes or so. The flavor was good however I will increase some of the spices for my taste. It was juicy as well with the added water.

Thanks CommradeQ for your advise.

Anytime, glad to have been able to help! Looks great, awesome job! I have some sheep casings and after your post you inspired me to make some breakfast links today. I'm probably going to stick with pork myself although your post may inspire me to do two batches, one with chicken.

Just out of curiousity, what percent of salt and what percent of spices did you use? Salt in fresh sausage should be 1.5-2% and spices anywhere from 0.75-1% of total weight. I find something like a breakfast sausage is good around the 0.75% range for spices whereas a north american style Italian sausage I prefer around 1-1.25% spice.

This site may help: http://lpoli.50webs.com/page0001.htm
Nutsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 16 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is the mix I used, it is for a 10 lb batch but I only made two lbs so I went with 2 tablespoons the percentages wouldn't change I dont think. I think I will have to add a % column to my spreadsheet to get more accurate readings. Oh ya I forgot I didnt have any soy protien to use as a binder so I used Glutanous Rice flour ....for this batch i used 1.5 tablespoons. was that medium ok to use?

BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 16 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that recipe your salt percent is around 1.2% and your spices (if you don't include the optional ones) are around 0.94%. I think upping the salt to 1.5% will allow the flavour of the spices to come through better as salt is a flavour enhancer.

When mixing a large batch of spice mix it is ok to premix it but omit the salt, measure that seperately for each batch. Just keep your premix to spices or herbs. I prefer weighing each ingredient for every batch as I know exactly the amount of spice in my sausage. When pre-mixing the separation of spices etc means you may get one or more of a certain ingredient and not enough of another. Also, using tabelspoons instead of weighing can be problematic. The weight of salt varies greatly. One tablespoon of fine sea salt can weigh as much as double that of a tabelspoon of course kosher salt. I invested in a small digital scale early on in my sausage making hobby and that thing is gold. Also, I found it much more accurate to use metric weights for everything as grams are precise and easy to calculate, especially when calculating percentages.

I have never used rice flour as a binder myself although I have heard of people using it ... how did it work for you? I use either non-fat dry skim milk powder or a specialty phosphate binder made for sausages.

Also, the bear will be coming, watch your image size! 😉
Nutsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 16 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a novice in sausage making I haven't had the opportunity to test other binders, Sometimes I would just mix the meat until it got real sticky especially with chicken. The glutenous rice flour "I THOUGHT" worked well as the meat held together good after cooking, I could not detect an after taste and it held the water well for moisture (in my opinion.)

I understand now, what you mean by premixing spice mixtures, especially using only a few tablespoons from the mixed batch. I often thought , ya THIS is heavier than this spice or that herb and would eventually fall to the bottom of the mix.

I see now I have some revisions to do on my spreadsheet.

Again thank you sir!!
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: