FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corned beef brisket fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10 16 10:28 pm    Post subject: Corned beef brisket fail Reply with quote

Most of the time it's just my wife and I so I usually don't smoke whole briskets. Small flats or occasionally a small point. I haven't smoked one in a while so this past weekend I went to several stores but all I could find was whole packers and small corned beef briskets. I'd never had corned beef brisket but I gave it a shot. I read several articles online that said to rinse it thoroughly to remove excess salt, which I did for several minutes. One article I read said to use Stubb's beef rub, the store I was at had Stubbs so I bought it.

Smoked at 250 til it reached 160, and panned it, it was probe tender at 203. Let it rest 30 minutes.

It was like taking a bite out of a salt lick. There was good flavor but it was over run by salt.

Any ideas?
tsawyer148

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10 16 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a lot of store bought corned beef for Pastrami, (fauxstrami), but never just cooked it like a normal brisket. When I do them, I soak the meat in cold water and in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours, changing the water every 2 hours or so. That helps to relieve some of the saltiness however I'm also guessing the rub may have a lot of salt in it as well, (have never used Stubbs Rub so am not familiar with the ingredients). The combination of not soaking and adding a salted rub may have contributed to your results but don't take it as gospel.
Anti Theft/Disarming Security System.
In otherwords, if you try to steal something, the
*Big Ass German Shepherd
inside will rip your arms off!
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11 16 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be soaking for several hours at the least. Change the water a few times too.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 16 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large stainless steel bowl, I drop in a rolned beef, and sit it under a dribbling tap on the sink, and allow the water to flew, changing it out constanly for at least 4 hours, and ometimes as long as 6 or 8.

The other thing I do after smoking it, is to pan it on top of a cooling grate, then add a couple of cups of water, lid it with foil, and steam it for3 - 4 hours, then allow it to cool, chill over night, then slice thin the next day.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: