FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 lb Brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mubballfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17 16 1:46 pm    Post subject: 20 lb Brisket Reply with quote

I've got ribs and pulled pork down pretty good and moving onto brisket. Picked up a 19.5 lb packer yesterday. Looked over the site but couldn't really find anything on briskets this big (probably shouldve gone with 2 10 lbers). Think I might need some help from someone who's cooked one this big:

1. 225 for about 90 min a lb, pull at 195-205, just like pulled pork?
2. Am I really looking at a 30 hr cook time?
3. Do I need to marinade or inject? Or is just rub good? I normally don't marinade or inject pork.
4. Should I foil this thing after 8-10 hours? I don't with pork but do foil ribs after 2 hours.
5. Anything else I should do - don't want to screw this up.

Thanks.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17 16 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM is the expert here, lots of experience, but for my backyard bbq .And I rarely do briskets.

smoker @ 225-275

Inject , marinade, if you want. I just use dry rub.

I foil or pan @ 160 ish

done @ 200ish.

my smoke time is less than 1 hour a lb.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 16 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM is definitely the brisket guru. I took KAM's advice and cooked a brisket a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. I cooked about 250-260. When the brisket hit about 160 (about 5 hours) I put in in a foil pan and covered it with foil and let it go until it hit 208 (about 2.5-3 hours). The best advice KAM give me was to let it cook until it is probe tender after panning it. This happened at about 208 for me. I then let it rest and cool down before slicing. It should cool to 165 before slicing. The brisket I cooked was 13.25 pounds before I trimmed it. It took about 8 hours to cook and then I put it in an oven that had been heated to 250 and turned off. I let it rest in the oven about 2 hours before slicing.
I have never cooked anything by time per pound as it just has to cook until it is properly done. I would expect a 20 pound brisket to cook in about 10-12 hours at 260 but I could be wrong.
I hope this helps.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: