FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time For Andouille

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 16 2:45 pm    Post subject: First Time For Andouille Reply with quote

Hi all I am new here and I have a few questions I would like to ask.

First I have been to Louisiana a few times and fell in love with the food (Étouffée, Boudin, Andouille etc).

Even went for breakfast at the famed Café De Amis. What an experience. Yall know how to party. I told my wife that when I die and if I am reborn I wanna be born in Louisiana.

Now to business: I wanted some andouille but cant find it north of the 49th (Canada) not the good stuff anyways so I decided to make my own from a recipe I got off the internet.

I did a few things wrong and I am hoping someone can stear me straight.

I used this to grind my pork It is the largest grinding plate I have. "Now" I know the grind wasnt thick enough.

I stuffed my casings and smoked the sausage. I was not happy with the results. I dont think I packed the casing tight enough.

I smoked the sausage on a gas BBQ....boooooo. 130 degrees for 2 hours then 165 for 2.5 hours. I think as a result of this (Gas BBQ) or that being my 1st try they turned out greasy, I think too much of the fat melted.

This is the finished product.

Can someone critique what I have told you? Or maybe I should just stick to eating Canadian Bacon.

hahahaha Laughing

Last edited by Nutsy on Fri Oct 07 16 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 16 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring! Let's start with one thing at a time ...

The texture issue you had is most likely due to two things, 1) Fat content is likely too low (20% min but I go closer to 30%); and 2) You likely did not develop enough of a bind. You want to mix your sausage and seasoning for a few minutes to ensure the bind is very sticky and developed fully. I prefer to do it by hand until it is sticky enough that seperating your fingers results in the meat sticking together between the fingers. It is hard to explain but once you get it you will know.

Now my preference for andouille is to hand cube in small chunks half the meat and then grind the remaining half on a medium grinding plate before adding seasoning and mixing them all together. This, in my opinion, gives the best texture.

Last, you want to cook the sausage in the smoker at low temps, ideally under 150. You should start around 130 and periodically ramp it up not passing 170. To prevent any additional moisture loss you can use either a phosphate binder or powdered milk. This will assist you in developing the bind I discussed above and ensure your sausage retains moisture.

If you want I came up with a recipe that I really like here: http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64009&highlight=andouille
Nutsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28 16 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for your information and you were right on about the mixing.

I thought I used a good grinding plate for bigger pieces and once I mixed the spices etc in I thought if I mixed too much it would be too mushy. So I just did the opposite and I like the idea of cutting smaller cubes first. I got a good smoke from the BBQ (gunna buy a smoker), stared at 130 for 2 hours then up to 170 for another two.

Anyways thanks for your input and I will follow your advice.

GT
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy,

To help explain what the primary bind looks like, think about the difference between ground pork or hamburger, and a tube of breakfast sausage. When you add the seasonings and cure to the ground meat, and mix enough, that ground meat will begin to look and feel like the sausage........That's what you are looking for when you are mixing. Then you know you did a good job.

Comrade is spot on.

Cheers,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 16 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grind my andouille through a 3/4" grinding plate, mix and fry a patty to check seasoning. I allow cure to work for 24 hours, then stuff into casings (hog). My pork is usually 75/25 lean to fat. Hang and smoke at around 165° till they hit 150° internal. Take them out, rinse or shower in cold water and let bloom at room temp for about an hour. I took a tour of Jacob's World Famous Andouille in LaPlace, LA. Their andouille is I think 90-95% lean. Its stuffed into beef middle casings and smoked for like 8-10 or more hours if I remember correct. Mine is a very good reproduction of Jacob's.
(here are a couple links to andouile videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInGy_Mc_70 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyoN53nvqvs0

Jacob's Andouille

Nutsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 16 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sausage looks fantastic!!! Do you ship to Canada? lol

Serious looks great. Did you use the standard hog casings for them. It might be the pictures but they seem to have a bigger girth to them.

Thanks for the Links as well, oh ya love your smoker looks well used.

Regards Greg
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 16 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:

Serious looks great. Did you use the standard hog casings for them. It might be the pictures but they seem to have a bigger girth to them.

Regards Greg

The first three pics are the ones I made at home with standard brat style hog casings. The last four pics are from Jacob's in LaPlace. They are the ones stuffed into beef middle casings and that is their smokehouse as well. They had a bad fire there a few years back but didn't lose all their smokehouses. Their smokehouses are actually inside in a room and the room has ventilation to help exhaust the smoke.
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 16 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:

Regards Greg

By the way, have you made andouille again and was it a success? I use the 1/4' plate and it gives large chunks like authentic andouille without having to hand chop anything (see pic). Also are you stuffing with a stuffer or with the meat grinder. If you stuff with a stuffer (see pic 2) it only has to go through that grinder auger once and therefore less chance of warming up your meat or your chunks being shredded smaller. The colder you keep the meat the better. That way the fat won't start melting too soon. That can change the texture of the sausage. (By the way, looking at those grinding plates, I am assuming you are using a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer? I started that way and let me tell you that if you get serious about sausage making you'll be so glad if you move up to a bigger grinder. I got a 1.5 hp Cabela's Carnivore and it will grind me like a boss!)

Hanging to dry in fridge.

Blooming after smoke.

Nutsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 16 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn your making me hungry. Nice equipment you have!

I have not made another batch of andouille yet, I am thinking about buying a smoker but havent decided on which one yet. I used a friends big BBQ to smoke the last batch.

The grinding plate I used was with my STX Turboforce 3000 grinder.

I used that plate because it was the one with the biggest holes. I went to Cabela's to get a 1/4 inch grinding plate but they do not sell one for this type of machine. Notice the lugs on the outside of the plate. It is different than the one Cabela's sells. I cant find one anywhere for my grinder. I may have to resort to cutting the meat by hand. I keep the meat as cold as I can while grinding

The stuffer I used was a kitchener 5 lbs stainless steel stuffer.

I am getting antsy to make another batch and I just missed the pork shoulders on sale for $.99 lb. I think I have to hold off until I get my smoker, smoked Boudin is on the list as well, however I have a recipe for Chaurice and Creole hot Sausage that doesn't need smoking so I will do a batch of each to try it out. And I will be adhearing to the tips that you and others have offered.

Thanks again for your input and awesome pics, if you have any others or great advise send them my way.

Take care GT
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08 16 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:
Damn your making me hungry. Nice equipment you have!

I have not made another batch of andouille yet, I am thinking about buying a smoker but havent decided on which one yet. I used a friends big BBQ to smoke the last batch.

The grinding plate I used was with my STX Turboforce 3000 grinder.

I used that plate because it was the one with the biggest holes. I went to Cabela's to get a 1/4 inch grinding plate but they do not sell one for this type of machine. Notice the lugs on the outside of the plate. It is different than the one Cabela's sells. I cant find one anywhere for my grinder. I may have to resort to cutting the meat by hand. I keep the meat as cold as I can while grinding

The stuffer I used was a kitchener 5 lbs stainless steel stuffer.

I am getting antsy to make another batch and I just missed the pork shoulders on sale for $.99 lb. I think I have to hold off until I get my smoker, smoked Boudin is on the list as well, however I have a recipe for Chaurice and Creole hot Sausage that doesn't need smoking so I will do a batch of each to try it out. And I will be adhearing to the tips that you and others have offered.

Thanks again for your input and awesome pics, if you have any others or great advise send them my way.

Take care GT

Nice stuffer! You'll find that if you sink a bit of money into a L.E.M grinder or Cabela's grinder, it'll make a world of difference. here are some links to some recipes you may wanna try;
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2012/04/16/boudin-recipe/
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/09/22/chaurice-sausage-recipe/
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/andouille-sausage-recipe.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBkNLBRPdog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy22OziLCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQ2UZ1-P5Q

Keep
rocking it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: