FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Smoker Weld Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 16 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably do this with PVC pipe and a bunch of fittings... might be cost prohibitive though. Confused
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 16 10:19 am    Post subject: Check out the harbor frieght roller Reply with quote

Find a 20% off coupon (available at store, local adds or online) and you should be able to pick one up for for about $150 complete with dies.
The unit is not designed to hold rocket like tolerances, but would be ideal for your project. I have successfully used the tube dies to roll 20' 1"x3"x3/16" cold rolled flat into hoops up to 5' in diameter. You could buy the roller and practice steel for less than most machine shops will charge to roll one piece.
If you want to play with square tube or angle, quality dies that fit the HF unit are available from Swag Off Road.
upmm019
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I had a guy lined up to bend some square tube for me but he flaked out......

I want to stay away from the PVC or Plywood options.

A quick and dirty that I am now thinking of is some light rebar perhaps doubled up on top of each other and welded into place.

I would then fill in with some angle or flat stock.

But I would need to weld on some sort of tabs that would hold the strips. As at the end of the strips they would hook into an eye bolt that would be adjusted for vertical position and tension.
upmm019
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 16 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where I could use you guys help as I am struggling with the next step.

I have made the base out of 3/8" rebar. It seems pretty durable but if I have to double it up I can surely do that.

The base has to mount onto the 1 1/4" pole about 16" off the ground. It needs to be removable.

I plan on welding some tabs around the perimeter of the base to put on supports that would go up at a 45 degree angle to the center pole for support.

There will be some upward tension when the strips are attached and the pole is fully extended ( there is a 1" pipe inside the 1 1/4" total height will be about 15'). The topper of the pole it attached to a winch so it wil not be terribly tight but there will be some upward force.

That said the horizontal plane of the base cannot shift otherwise the strips will be off. Each bulb across the 16 strips need to align horizontally.

Looking for any suggestions... thanks again for the help you have offered thus far.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 16 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around what you're trying to get done here. So, correct me if I'm wrong...

You got this 1-1/4" pole embedded in the concrete slab and the pole is 15' in length.

You want to attach your re-bar base to the pole about 16" from the ground.

If that's the case then this is what I would have done; I would have put a 1-1/4" threaded coupling in the center of your re-bar formation, spun it onto a 16" threaded pipe in the concrete slab, then spin on the remaining pipe to get the height. If it's too late for all that then here's the next option...

Make some sort of clamp that's in the center of your re-bar and clamp it onto the 1-1/4 pipe. You could split a piece of pipe or square tubing but you would have to put tabs on each section, drill and tap, so you can bolt it back together to clamp to the vertical pipe.

I'm just throwing some things out there.
upmm019
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27 16 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up trying out two muffler clamps..... they work but the bad thing is that the 3/8 rebar has too much give. I should have made the straight sections out of 1/2".

Although its mounted which is one step closer to being finished I now have to put on some 45' supports to stiffen the base and also to level out the base horizontally too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: