FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liners and fire bricks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergeant_smoke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 16 2:50 am    Post subject: Liners and fire bricks Reply with quote

Any thoughts on lining the bottom inside of the fire box and/or cook chamber with fire brick? Was wondering if it might help maintain heat or have any other benefits.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 16 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lined the bottom of my firebox and set an ash pan on top of it. My thinking is it helps in not only acting as a heat sink but also as protection from the harsh heat and corrosiveness of the ashes.

I don't believe I would put firebrick in the cooker though. It's hard enough to cleanup the drippings and soot without messing around with a bunch of bricks. If you need insulation then I would skin out the tank with a layer of insulation between.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27 16 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the only benefit lining the bottom of the firebox would be to help with its longevity but if you keep it clean after cooks you do not need this.
The sides and the top take the brunt of the heat and that is where your heat loss is. As mike stated the bottom of the chamber will be a mess to clean with lose bricks.

Hybrid Cooker
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 16 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lining my firebox for the last ten years (two different Langs). Not only does it save the bottom, but it also reduces the time to get to cooking temp. I started lining the warmer bottom last year and it sped up time to temp even more.
BBQ Love

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03 16 2:33 am    Post subject: pans of sand Reply with quote

I love the idea of keeping the inside of the cooker insulated. Especially during windy and cold temperatures.
If I may suggest bread pans of play sand or multi purpose sand covered with aluminum foil. The sand is your thermal mass. The aluminum foil keeps it covered and easy to clean up. You can easily move them around and probably a little bit cheaper than fire bricks. They are modular, comparable size to the bricks. I use these in my cooks all the time. If you wish check out my page where I have illustrated with picture and video of using the sand while smoking a turkey. Hope this helps!
http://bbqlove.net/2016/10/19/smoked-turkey-butter-creole-injected-brown-sugar-rub/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: