FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will a horizontal drum be ok for a first time smoker..etc?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 11:48 am    Post subject: Will a horizontal drum be ok for a first time smoker..etc? Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the introductory forum,I reside in the Philippines.There is painfully few choices for a BBQ or smoker here.I would prefer to start out small,so I thought a single 55gal drum mounted horizontally would function reasonably well for a first time BBQ grill...smoker?Could I get by without the added firebox and all that adding one would entail? I would probably need a diffuser of some sort or other to deflect the direct heat?.I was thinking sheet metal for that until I could order a rectangular pizza stone,which then could be used for that purpose.?

I was really trying to figure out how to get an Akorn Kamado Kooker (similar to the Big GreenEgg in design) shipped here,but shipping charges as well as duty would be a tad on the spendy side.

Advice is welcome.

Thanks.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419

I still work here!
SoCalSmoker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with ugly drum smoker. Which if done right aren't ugly. Very easy to get and will last longer in that configuration than making it an offset.

Kyle
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other option is a Weber kettle. Easy to indirect cook with side charcoal baskets and direct cook with the regular charcoal grate.

I'd reconsider using a pizza stone as a heat deflector/diffuser. If not careful you can thermally shock it and end up with many smaller pieces. Don't ask how I know this. Embarassed
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texas Hibachi has been around for years and still sold in local grocery stores. My love for BBQ dates back to my grand dad and father cooking on one while us kids played in the yard.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-projects/pages/texas-grill-detail.aspx
Drums make great grills and indirect smokers.
By placing your coals on the opposite end of the exhaust with a few wood chunks you can produce some great smoked meat.
The bottom is this so if you can get some thin fire brick for the coal side your'e better off.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions SoEzzy and SoCalSmoker.The main reasoning I was using for the horizontal,is that I could also grill with it when necessary.I am pretty new to this obviously,but I can't figure how you could grill with the UDS with the briquettes so far from the grill.

Smokin Mike: I have read all kinds of reports about the pizza stones that are Cordierite,being shock proof.The reviews on Amazon are confusing,with some reviewers stating they are shock proof,while others maintain that they do break.Perhaps a metal diffuser would be best,and then to use the stone for pizza only.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim Pickens wrote:
Perhaps a metal diffuser would be best,and then to use the stone for pizza only.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm liking that Texas Hibachi! Looks like a great DIY project if you got a few tools.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08 16 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke + indirect grill with my wsm 22, all the time. That can also be done on a homemade UDS too if you want . Direct grill I have a gas grill + a( Weber charcoal grill can also smoke too).
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08 16 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
The Texas Hibachi has been around for years and still sold in local grocery stores. My love for BBQ dates back to my grand dad and father cooking on one while us kids played in the yard.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-projects/pages/texas-grill-detail.aspx
Drums make great grills and indirect smokers.
By placing your coals on the opposite end of the exhaust with a few wood chunks you can produce some great smoked meat.
The bottom is this so if you can get some thin fire brick for the coal side your'e better off.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

That's what I'm talkin about right there k.a.m...thanks for that link.I was just thinking that something like that could fill a couple different roles and give me some flexibility.

I also have to have the grills made,but I also found a source for stainless expanded metal in Manila.I could probably have the grills made locally cheaper with stainless wire,so need to decide on that.

They don't have small firebrick here,but I could use the small local bricks here and just replace as they disintegrate.

Thanks again for the link.

Mike: There might be BBQ grills available in Manila,but they would be imported and very expensive.Nothing of a unique nature is cheap here.

I can't remember what that heat resistant "rope" seal is called.It's like a heat resistant fabric weatherstripping used to seal fireboxes and the like.Can anyone help me with the name of that material?

I could probably get some of that shipped to me to help seal the unit up.

Last edited by Slim Pickens on Thu Aug 18 16 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08 16 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire rope or tadpole gasket
http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/High-Temperature-Heat-Flame-Fire-Pyro-Protection-Products-Firesleeve-Jacket-Tape-Tadpole-Rope-Fabric-Fiberglass-Silica-Ceramic.html
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09 16 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link Maniac.Very helpful!
Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14 16 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim, my son and I recently built a UDS, makes a great first time project and great food as well. I lined the bottom and sides(part way up) with refractory brick I happened to have, works great! I grill on it as well as smoke, it gives me a long cook if I want, or a fast one, just depends how you set the fire up. Haven't had a problem with the grates being too far away from the heat source, quite the opposite. Consider a UDS, SoEzzy's tutorial here is right on. Good luck, and good cooking!
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 16 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for the late response.It is rainy season here in the PI.The ISP provided router that we use took a powder on us,and the techs didn't want to ride the 2 1/2 hours to our place to fix the thing.Part of the 3rd world experience!Whee!

Ok.So,Iv'e been looking in vain for a drum that wasn't last used for chemicals.I can't even find a drum that last contained oil!There are used drums that are food safe available in Manila,but no way to get one transported.

I haven't given up,just faced with the limited availability of anything out of the ordinary.

Is there a reason that all smoker/cookers are round?Could a good cooker be made oblong etc? I thought about using a stainless water tank,but that would end up costing triple what a smoker made from a used drum would cost.

Crying or Very sad
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 16 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokers can be any shape you want them to be.
A lot of builds here on the ring are done with oil drums that are oblong in shape.

Hybrid Cooker
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help k.a.m.

I am not having much luck finding a suitable drum, open or not.Most drums here last contained chemicals,which narrows the choices.Like I said earlier,there are drums in Manila,but that is 6hours one way,and getting 1 shipped is proving to be difficult.(sellers don't want to mess with shipping 1 or 2 drums).I could buy maybe 12 gauge mild sheet steel,and make up a smoker.Don't know whether to attempt to build a drum style,or fabricate a rectangular.I haven't seen many (any?) plans for a rectangular smoker..plus,this won't be a commercial smoker,just a smallish one for the wife and I,so I don't need anything too big.

I know that I should hold out for a used drum,as we will be moving back to the US next spring,and I hate to spend more $ than necessary...it's just that it is taking longer to find a drum,than to fabricate one with stone age tools would take.

Laughing

On edit: What about making an "Ugly Drum" style smoker/grill from cold rolled sheet?Basically the same dimensions,except rectangular (or square might work as well) instead of round?

12 gauge..14? I don't know much about this,so I am just pulling numbers out of thin air.

I suppose a 24" x 24" by 36 H " is probably a little large for a hobby smoker??
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these plans on the net.I don't know how well a local machine shop would be at rolling the sheet to a circle,but doing octagonal would result is a lot more labor as well as additional material.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a778/3372796/

I don't need a 36" smoker,but I could cut it back to 24" or 30"?

Will these smokers with a side firebox get hot enough to do a pizza?700 degrees?Is that possible,or am I dreaming?

I will admit that I prefer the barrel type (UDS) because I don't know how the smokers with the side firebox would do with pizza.

I will need to do a little more searching for steel sheeting as well.The local hardware store only has 1/16",but I was told that heavier gauge is available somewhere in town.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim, The beauty of finding a tank or a barrel is that you do save a lot of money on materials, as you previously stated. I haven't mentioned this here at the forum (yet) but I'm building a semi-octagon cooker, 48" wide x 32" tall x 29" deep. I'm framing it with 1-1/2" angle and skinning it with 3/16" sheet. The steel alone for this build is over $700. And that's just to get started. There's handles, thermometers, wheels, axles, paint, and a whole lot of other stuff to acquire so it's probably going to be at least a $1,000 cooker by the time it's done.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 36" wide cooker and that's fairly small. You'll run out of cooking space real fast on anything much smaller. My New Braunfels offset is 36" x 16" and I can't get much more than a butt and a turkey on there at once, allowing space for the hot spot and around the meat.

If you want to do pizzas then stick with something over open coals like a kettle and an oven extension. You won't be able to get those high temperatures in an offset unless you build one heck of a fire and I guarantee it won't be controllable.
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Thanks so much for sharing the advice.I was considering a smaller cooker simply to keep the cost down,as this will only serve the wife and I (for the most part).

Just for sake of discussion,would a barrel type (uds) be able to generate heat in the ballpark of what I would need for pizza?I really would like something that could be dual purpose.Like I stated above,I might be able to get the steel rolled at a machine shop here.If that is the case,then I could quite possibly get a cooker for a pretty reasonable investment.I could even go rectangular with the sheet steel if I had too,but that adds additional material..and therefore cost.

I'm not necessarily cheap,but we plan on moving back to the states in the spring,so no sense in overdoing anything.

About doing pizza...Even if the UDS couldn't attain 700*,would it be possible to reach 500-550*?

Thanks again for the response.Much appreciated.

(We will be watching for that new build too..)
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never cooked on a UDS and I'd have to defer your question about temperature to someone that has. However, in my Internet browsing I have seen some guys pull off a UDS pizza cook stating that they were able to get the barrel up to 500° plus. I would imagine that if you can get a good coal base with plenty of inlet air, then you should be able to rock those temperatures, but I'll let someone with experience confirm that.

Slim Pickens wrote:
(We will be watching for that new build too..)
Thanks! Yeah, it has been skanky hot and humid for weeks now and just pretty much intolerable outside so the cooker project has been on hold. I'm expecting relief here soon so I will pick back up on it. I'll be sure to post up the build.
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 16 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's plenty hot and humid here as well.

Well,this whole thing is getting to be really frustrating.I sent the wife looking for cold rolled steel.I had heard that one of the local Hardware stores sold it.They actually call it BI (black iron). I don't really know what BI is for sure,but i do know that it is hard to find here.Actually..everything is hard to find here.All the shops seem to carry exactly the same thing.They all stock GI (galvanized),but we all know that shouldn't be used.

I would look into asking if any of the shops could order a sheet or 2 of BI,but I know for sure what would happen.They would ship the worst piece that they have in stock,because it may well be the only way to get rid of that one piece that is dented and rusty.Sell it to the foreigner,and then refuse to take it back.Imagine if you will,this sort of thing happening EVERYTIME you have a project that you want to do. Nobody stocks what you really want.All they have is extremely cheap junk,and very few options to get anything of any quality that will last more than a few months.

Frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: