FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Millermatic 211 or 215?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bperkins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 16 5:50 am    Post subject: Millermatic 211 or 215? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been researching welders (plan to learn to weld and build a pit).

After looking around - it seems the 211 was the one I was most leaning toward.. Then the 215 popped up.

Now I'm a little torn - as far as versatility goes - does DC TIG offer anything? or if I really want to learn TIG down the road - should I get a *regular* TIG welder?

I'm just thinking big picture / long term.. I'm a home user..
Thanks!
Bob
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 16 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used one that could mig and tig.
All tig machines can stick weld.
My mig machine can't stick or tig weld.

For cheap home use, I'd go with a Lincoln tombstone.

What ever kind of welding you learn 1st is going to be the easiest. I had tig welders work for me that could not mig weld.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 16 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note I think mig is the easiest to learn when using gas.
Flux core is not as easy, fluxcore with gas is a dream to weld.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 16 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Millermatic 211 or 215? Reply with quote

bperkins wrote:
Hi All,

I've been researching welders (plan to learn to weld and build a pit).

After looking around - it seems the 211 was the one I was most leaning toward.. Then the 215 popped up.

Now I'm a little torn - as far as versatility goes - does DC TIG offer anything? or if I really want to learn TIG down the road - should I get a *regular* TIG welder?

I'm just thinking big picture / long term.. I'm a home user..
Thanks!
Bob

I have a 211 and love it. I had never owned a mig before I purchased it, I built my offset with an old Lincoln stick welder. The 211 sure would have made that job easier, and I'm looking forward to hopefully doing another build in the fall with my 211.

There is nothing on a bbq pit that needs TIG welding. I did a lot of TIG in the Navy years ago and it definitely has its place. That said, the 215 with dc Tig capability only, will be limited. You will not be able to Tig aluminum with the 215. It would be good for working with stainless, especially thinner stuff, and I could see it coming in handy for auto body stuff. If you don't see that being a need, I'd stick with the 211. Pretty sure you still have to buy a few hundred dollars worth of extra equipment before you can Tig with the 215 anyway.

I love stick welding, own 2 stick welders, but I doubt the average hobbyist with access to a decent MIG would ever take the time to become proficient with the process. MIG will get you out there working on projects much faster.

So basically, my opinion is you should go with the 211. Good deals are out there on 211s if you are patient. Got mine off Craigslist, lightly used, with a cart and a few other extras for $700.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 16 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are new to welding and a hobby welder you could even look into a smaller wire feed like a Hobart Handler 190 or the Millermatic 190. Both these machines will keep you busy for a long time with projects. The down fall is they require 240v and the 211 will run on 120v or 240v.

If you want to go stick and learn this buy a machine that is AC/DC. Stick is all I do and love it but for a beginner with no knowledge there is a learning curve but if you are willing to take the time there are a lot of videos and groups that can have you basic welding in no time.

Hybrid Cooker
bperkins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 16 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - I had a feeling the 215 was limited in TIG..
I'll go for the 211 - it really seems to be a good all around welder.. And much like a new pit - 1 size bigger than I will likely need..
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 16 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
if you are willing to take the time there are a lot of videos and groups that can have you basic welding in no time.

I would strongly recommend watching YouTube videos from Jody at welding tips and tricks. Just search"weldingtipsandtricks" and it will pop up. He has great videos on pretty much every weld process you can imagine. I watched a lot of his stuff before I bought my MIG just to familiarize myself with the basics, and I feel like it really helped.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 16 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bperkins wrote:
Thanks all - I had a feeling the 215 was limited in TIG..
I'll go for the 211 - it really seems to be a good all around welder.. And much like a new pit - 1 size bigger than I will likely need..

You won't be disappointed, it's a great little machine.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 16 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
if you are willing to take the time there are a lot of videos and groups that can have you basic welding in no time.

I would strongly recommend watching YouTube videos from Jody at welding tips and tricks. Just search"weldingtipsandtricks" and it will pop up. He has great videos on pretty much every weld process you can imagine. I watched a lot of his stuff before I bought my MIG just to familiarize myself with the basics, and I feel like it really helped.
Some, like me do great from videos.

I taught one guy to tig
That just wasn't getting it by.
Holding his hands and putting my foot on top of his on the foot peddle. Sitting across the table doing it off hand for me.
1st time I welded lefty.
bperkins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm burning up Youtube on Welding Videos
and working on my list of things I need to start.

and on the lookout for an old 120G tank to cut up.
Thanks!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bperkins wrote:
and on the lookout for an old 120G tank to cut up.

Where are you located Bob? I got a 120 compressor tank that's been sitting in the yard for a while now. I'm not sure if/when I'll ever get to it.
bperkins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 16 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston area..

I was just in NC last week - but I don't think I could get it on carry-on! Wink
thx
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08 16 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call around to your local scrap yards, and check machine and weld shop auctions.
pdog83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12 17 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was torn between the millermatic 211 and the multimatic 215 also. I ended up going with the multimatic 215. I most likely will never use the dc tig but the digital controls is what made be go with it over the 211 and I bought my 215 right before Miller increased the price by $100. Its a very smooth machine to weld with and I love it!
Phils67

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12 17 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mig machines Mig weld and my Tig machines Tig weld.

I have been welding for 30+ yrs. and have never been a fan of do-all machines, to me they have been built for a purpose and will be used accordingly.

Now.........I have been wrong before, these new inverter machines are the cat`s pajamas, but I`m still not on board for the multiprocess machines, doesn't mean that they aren`t right for some..... just not me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: