FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/2" Sch. 80 Pipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 4:23 am    Post subject: 1/2" Sch. 80 Pipe Reply with quote

I want to make some hinges using 1/2" Schedule 80 pipe. I have called around town with no success. One place thought they may have a 21' stick but was not sure and if they did it was about $55. They were going to look and call back, which means I probably will never hear from them.

Where do you folks find it and what does it cost?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My steel supplier here in Beaumont has it in stock at 40.00 a joint.
Check your local steel suppliers.

Hybrid Cooker
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
My steel supplier here in Beaumont has it in stock at 40.00 a joint.
Check your local steel suppliers.

Thanks for the tip.

I called the local steel supplier and they do have it for $24.68 for a 21' stick. But the kicker is they have a $200 minimum order.

Spending $200 on some steel is not a problem but not ready to order it all. So I'll continue to look.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be others close by with no minimum. None of the suppliers in my area have a minimum.

Hybrid Cooker
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time getting ahold of it when I was building my cooker. I ended up ordering it from Zoro tools. They have schedule 80 1/2" available in 1 foot lengths for a decent price shipped. Kinda hard to find on their website, their search isn't the greatest, might be better to give them a call.

I have since figured out you are better off just finding a good machined weldable hinge already built on eBay. I recently bought a set for less than 10 bucks shipped that will be just as strong as my homemade ones. They were from a machine shop in Oklahoma I believe, not some made in China junk.

Unless you simply want the pride of building them yourself, that is the route I would suggest.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
I had a hard time getting ahold of it when I was building my cooker. I ended up ordering it from Zoro tools. They have schedule 80 1/2" available in 1 foot lengths for a decent price shipped. Kinda hard to find on their website, their search isn't the greatest, might be better to give them a call.

I have since figured out you are better off just finding a good machined weldable hinge already built on eBay. I recently bought a set for less than 10 bucks shipped that will be just as strong as my homemade ones. They were from a machine shop in Oklahoma I believe, not some made in China junk.

Unless you simply want the pride of building them yourself, that is the route I would suggest.

Would you have a photo handy?
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I got from eBay. Want to say they were $4 a piece. Haven't gotten around to building the gate I bought them for yet in this Texas heat Cool

14" Weber Smokey Joe
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were actually $13 shipped for the set, just checked my purchase history. Still worth it to me, unless you are planning to make 100 hinges or something.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit pricey.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-(schedule-80)-pipe/=13dvnch
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphonse where are you from I may have some pipe or nipples lying around
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
Alphonse where are you from I may have some pipe or nipples lying around

I am in L.A. (Lower Alabama)

I appreciate the offer but that's a long way from you. I am in need of a steel package for some work I am doing so I will likely order a stick along with all the other stuff I need.
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
Here's what I got from eBay. Want to say they were $4 a piece. Haven't gotten around to building the gate I bought them for yet in this Texas heat Cool

Thanks for the photos. Those look great and certainly would be an option.

I need enough for two grills I am building, so four pit doors and four end access doors. So lots of hinges and some special layouts on the end access doors. I will also make them so I can take the doors off to maintain the pins. So the pins will be drilled and tapped on the free end for a holding washer.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, buying that many hinges could add up I suppose. Probably better off ordering a full joint and making your own.

Last thing I'll say about these hinges I ordered, they aren't just a pipe and pin, each one is machined out of solid stock so there is no pin to come out, might save you some time, no need to drill and tap. The piece without the pin is capped at the opposite end as well which should help control rust issues.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Alphonse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
Well, buying that many hinges could add up I suppose. Probably better off ordering a full joint and making your own.

Last thing I'll say about these hinges I ordered, they aren't just a pipe and pin, each one is machined out of solid stock so there is no pin to come out, might save you some time, no need to drill and tap. The piece without the pin is capped at the opposite end as well which should help control rust issues.

Yeap, those are nice hinges and with your description and photos I can see they are one piece on the fixed pin side of the hinge.

The hinges I am planning are like the ones k.a.m. makes. The hinge pin will be welded in one hinge half but I will extend the pin slightly beyond the rotating socket for a method of securing it in the assembly but allowing removal of the doors as needed to anti sieze the pins up from time to time.

The grills I have made in the past did not have removable doors, meaning the hinges were welded on and you couldn't remove the doors without a grinder or torch. The hinges became problems due to corrosion and the lack of lubricant.

So I am being driven by my desire to be able to remove the doors on the new grills I am building. Therefore I want a hinge design that accommodates door removal but I also want to make sure that they are firmly fixed so they cannot be removed without removing a fastener first.

BTW, I have started another thread here on high temp grease.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you now, these probably wouldn't be your best option for that set up. Hopefully your steel supplier can come through.

Can't offer much help on the high temp grease. I just hit all my hinges with vegetable oil spray once the cooker is up to temp, open and close the doors a few times and wipe off the excess. I'm sure theres a smarter way, but I don't have any squeaks or rust issues and it's been sitting in the elements for a couple years now. I'll watch your other thread to find out what others do.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 16 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a sprinkler fitter, many shops have some laying around.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: