FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 16 3:46 am    Post subject: Trailer build Reply with quote

22 plus BBQ? trailer build.
Ok I figured it might be good to start a build thread for advice. I really do NOT know about vending. I can build things though. I plan for this to be basically smoked and BBQ or grilled foods cooked on the porch. You can see in the photo where I plan to split inside and outside. The back is 11 ft by 8ft. It's 12 ft from the front to the last white frame center wheels more or less. There is 1 more frame after that which was going to be outside for a grab rail entering on a step.

My big question is is 12ft by 7'8" too small for interior space.
I will need triple sink forward. Water tank above deck probably. I built a 100 gallon waste tank in the frame. I may or may not build my own refer and freezer putting the compressors and condensors forward under the triple sink to vent the heat out. I MAY someday do many other foods if this doesn't fly. I want to build this to be as versatile as possible. I don't need to buy all the equipment now because it's bbq first. Planning a pitmaker vault or safe plus another homebuilt larger something lime a rf with warmer.

I guess I'm just gun shy on installing the walls then wanting more interior space. I have layed out many interiors that seem to work but it's tight.

How small is too small. Current porch is 11 and 1/2 ft.

I really want deck space.

I'm looking for advice and or opinions on everything. I have more time than money and plan to build most everything.
I started out just doing jerky for sale and although it's expensive to make I couldn't keep up. There is no way to on a 20sq ft cooker.
The bigger cooker will be built with that in mind.

I plan for pulled pork, ribs, steaks, sausage after finding supplier etc.
It may evolve and then a fryer and who knows.
It's a small country where I am and need to get prices down on supply.

I also plan a full length 7 ft fold up cover on the concession side.
Maybe a large fold down condiment table.

That steel sheet is for the deck under diamond plate. Just had to coat it.

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by waywardtravel on Thu Jul 21 16 3:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 16 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current rig is 8'6 wide x20' plus v-nose. It is split equally inside / porch - 10' each. 2 people inside with me running pit is ideal, so it will work just fine! We can easily feed 1000 people a day at festivals with limited menu of 5 meats - P.Pork, Chicken, Brisket, ribs and sausage. We also do nacho's and a parfait - our roadside menu takes up 9- 1/3 pans and one full size in 4 electric steam tables that sit on top of soda cooler, next to 48" prep cooler.
I am planning a new rig with 20' interior and 8' porch as dealing with the elements here in the North suck in spring and fall!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 16 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, That sounds encouraging size wise.

I'll add the redneck rollover photo of the trailer at early stages and before 3x6 cross members. And just finished a basic logo. It's raining so not working on the trailer.

The best thing I could find for exterior wall construction that had paint already is Alucobond which I bought. It's 4x8 ft cladding for building sides. Surprisingly light and much stronger than regular aluminum skin. It's .02mm aluminum 5.6mm plastic and .2 mm aluminum sandwich board. around 40lbs/sheet. painted both sides and nice glossy exterior side. 60 bucks a sheet.
Current thought is to rivet top only covered by flashing or trim then use sika flex 252 to bond the panels to the frame. The trim on top and bottom will encapsulate it for a fail safe, they don't have the right tape 3m tape here and I've used sika for 20 plus years in marine stuff. In my searches Australia particularly uses it in production extensively for bus, trailer, etc panel bonding with great success. T=

[img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by waywardtravel on Thu Jul 21 16 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 16 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the Pitmaker that started this whole crazy idea to build a trailer. I do jerky and real Q. It's been working very well for my needs as a hobbyist so to speak. I have to work to keep it low for jerky (around 165) but maintaining 240-250 is a breeze. Both using lump and blocks or chips in foil (whatever I can find). I plan to do some more homework and then add another ball valve and a guru or similar to free up some of my life. lol
Today she'll be running some jerky and a USDA st louis cut along side a local rib to compare. I hate to say the ribs are going to have to sit in a 170' temp for about 4 hrs before turning it up to around 250 or so. Hope it works.
EDIT Cooking at 170 now. The top rack to bottom rack variable is 2 degrees. Really cool. It does have some warmer spots right top back which makes a little food movement normally. Only on jerky so far because it's less than 1/4 in.
[img][/img]
The VacMaster I bought new and paid double with shipping and duties. The meat slicer was almost free so offset it. It really helps save my back cutting jerky. The butchers here won't do it or cant get anywhere near consistent. I know this stuff is nothing to you guys but very cool to me at this point. I wrench for a living sort of. It's funny how no matter what you do there is always the best tools to salivate over. I have a list but no immediate plans. I need to build this slow and low to be cost effective the first time around. Then like everything else do it twice. lol
[img]
[/img]
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 16 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been super busy for a few weeks on a boat job so I haven't touched the trailer. I have been researching a fair amount though.

A question for the cook deck. 8ft by 11 or 12ft. What about only using the Pitmaker on one side leaving room for an entrance gate a small prep table that fits the racks and a hand wash.
Then building a Santa Maria with a holding oven. I'm thinking a Santa Maria that has an opening lid over a rack or 2 which will take care of any quick grilling and maybe even a removable griddle on half with grease drain.
Have a traditional offset firebox so it can be used to smoke as well as a warming oven above that.

When the grate is high cooking like I normally see in photos on the Santa Maria would the heat be unbearable in a trailer application?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: