FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about caulking food trailer roof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12 16 1:36 am    Post subject: Question about caulking food trailer roof Reply with quote

I am in the process of removing the old caulking and was wondering what kind would work best.

The top is aluminum and it is joined to piece of stainless steel that curves down and goes down the side 8"-10".

I was wondering what would be best that will stick to them both and will stand up to the elements?

I have a couple tubes of this:
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAP-NSF-COMMERCIAL-KITCHEN-Sealant-Stainless-Steel-20HA78

I used it inside and it works well just not sure if it will work in an outdoor environment.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12 16 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an RV shop. There is a really good one, sorry I cant find my last tube or the name of it off hand. It was about $12.00 a tube but it worked great on my travel trailer. I had a leak where the rubber roof met the metal. They had stuff for stainless and normal siding too.

Sorry not to be more helpful since I am responding to your message. If I make over to the RV store this weekend, I'll get the name of it again.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12 16 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a contractor for 25 years...NOTHING out there will hold up like " Vulkem" or "OSI" urethane caulk!
Home Depot carry's the OSI brand in many colors, they might have the Vulkem also, but make sure it is the smooth type, as the one most places carry has a gritty looking texture to it - great for mortar joints, not so nice on a smooth surface! Both are tenaciuos adhesives and quite sticky / messy if you lean into it [ dont ask...lol ] If you need to work it at all, use a wet finger immediately, and have some form of mineral spirits or gas handy to get it off you!! I have rebuilt wood with the stuff, and it will last longer than any home!!! Great on siding, any roofing material, any metal etc.
Silicone is GARBAGE - even the million year warranty states it will 'remain flexible' for its warranty life....But it may or may not STICK for days or years....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13 16 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDPM flashing tape will seal it.

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Black-Single-Stick-Flashing/dp/B005QODB92?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25 16 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response I actually forgot about posting it Embarassed

Anyway I think I will go with the urethane caulk. I will more than likely order it online if I can't find it locally.

Thanks you all for the input
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25 16 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whall just remember that most important is the prep work Exclamation Most people wont take the time to make the surface ready to accept the bond and then bitch the product failed, caulking may only take a few minutes to do but prep may take several hrs. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: