FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Startup Vendor Question around first trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADGNova1028

PostPosted: Sat May 21 16 11:48 pm    Post subject: Startup Vendor Question around first trailer Reply with quote

Hello all,

First off, I have enjoyed reading through all these forums and have really learned a lot from all your experiences. My buddy and I have talked for years about getting into the BBQ game and are finally starting to seriously do our homework on the possibly of launching a vending business on the side. The idea is to get our feet wet with some vending and see how it goes and then grow from there.

My question is what do you guys recommend for first trailer? Should we look for a used one or look at some of the dealers such as SLE or Trailer Country for a new one. Also, this might be a dumb question, but with those two dealers, can you usually negotiate a bit (like a car dealer) or are they pretty set with the quotes.

We currently found a used 14 foot trailer with 5 foot bbq porch that looks pretty much turnkey ready (all equipment included) for about 20K. We are hoping to get out to look at it in the next couple weeks. We are definitely weighing the pros and cons on each but just wanted to see what other opinions were and what your first experiences were.

Thanks!
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 22 16 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to buy used if you can people are always buying new and end up finding out that this business takes a lot more work than they were ready for and end up selling . I have stopped doing most vending and I'm working on my catering. I would look up post by MR TONY or BBQ MAN they have a lot of insight about the business
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 22 16 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the sticky by Tony at the top of the page
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 22 16 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought through both the companies you listed, both Freedom trailers. I am pleased with the rigs based on the price point and personally see no reason to go anywhere else for the planned [ in my head ] #3 rig I hope to have for the 2017 season!!
I special ordered both, the second being fairly stripped and built out myself....
If they have something on the lot, I would think there may be some wiggle room on the price as the season has already begun nation wide, but dont expect a whole lot....Looking for something gently used on craigslist etc. is always a good idea as soooo many think it is sooo easy Sad There are smokin' deals out there to be found!! Mainly because people dont understand what it really takes, hence the post I made that fish&q referred to : http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69240
Best of luck in your venture!!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
FreebirdTPark

PostPosted: Mon May 23 16 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Eastman, Ga today with my" first experience." I would go used, if at all possible, but good luck with that. I looked forever on the net, and could not find anything I wanted, or my Health District would accept. I would get up with your County Health District, and find what they will pass. You might find out that what you are buying is not turnkey. You can get a lot of new trailer for $20.000.00
ADGNova1028

PostPosted: Tue May 24 16 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone the responses and information. We will definitely consider both options. We are basically this summer to do our research and business plan with hopes of a launch in 2017.

just one more question, from your experience, do you find any time of year where there is a better inventory of used equipment, such as end of season when people start exiting the business?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 25 16 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid to end of season, when people realize this is A LOT more work than they anticipated!!
Spring is high dollar time, about now people get antsy and drop prices a bit, but still hold out if they can financially....
Example: Last year, end of season, I advertised my second trailer 'The Kitchen' for what it was worth, got many low ball offers but had the room to store it free for the winter, so I sat on it since I financially could. I got quite a few calls once the snow started to melt [ most wanting me to finance them - that wasnt gonna happen ] , got what I wanted for it once the snow was gone.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: