FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this catering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 5:33 am    Post subject: Is this catering? Reply with quote

The guy I buy hay from for my horses asked a question the other day. Would I cook for his sons wedding reversal dinner and maybe reception?

Let me start off with I know the guy fairly well, more than an acquaintance but not quite a good friend. When I pick up hay we always talk for a good bit and if we run into each other out an about we always chat. But we don't go out of the way to make conversation other than that.

He helped me out last winter and as a thanks I dropped off several pounds of brisket and a slab of ribs. Those were a hit with his family.

Now the new request, he said he would buy all the food and help out with everything he could but wanted to know if I would do the rubs and the cook. I told him sure and when he offered to pay me I told him don't worry about it, just cover the spices and wood and we are good.

I like to fire up the pit and enjoy cooking. I am going to load Frankenpit up and take it to his place for the cook, none of this part is a big deal and like I said we are kinda friends.

My question is this considered catering? Not sure if I am opening myself up to getting into any trouble. If it was just him an his family I wouldn't worry about it, but the new members of their family I don't know yet. Not to mention if I do the cook at the reception. This is months away and some things may change.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Chris
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, I think it would be considered "catering." No money is exchanging hands, though. I'm not an expert though. Maybe Harry or BBQMAN will reply. You could check with your local Health Dept. Just ask generic questions. Or they might could point you in the right directions (specific laws and ordinances for where you live, ect.) Are you just doing the meat, or would you be doing sides and drinks as well? Are you serving or just cooking? If you would be doing just meat and not serving, you could cook ahead, and they can hold, warm and serve later. Personally, if I were to get married again (happily married for 12 years now), I wouldn't want BBQ at the reception. Rehearsal dinner, okay. BBQ sauce, tuxedoes, fancy dresses.....not a good combination. Laughing However, I went to the wedding of my wife's friend a few years ago. Her dad DROVE her to the altar riding on the groom's John Deere tractor to the song "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy." Gotta love hillbilly Tennessee rednecks. Shocked

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in VA now,,,, Shocked Very Happy Laughing
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my parts [ Wi] since the homeowner is providing the meats and you are simply cooking it for him, you would be considered a contract cook at best...Since you are simply 'helping' him do the cook, giving him tutelage on how to use your smoker, and at his location, and no money is changing hands, your just a buddy giving him a hand.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is this catering? Reply with quote

castrovillecowboy wrote:
wedding reversal dinner

Best typo EVER!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cook for friends and family all the time with the exact same agreement you and the man have come up with they supply meat, pans, and any fixings if we are doing beans and dirty rice we do all the cooking and supply the cooker, wood and rubs. Consider it a gift to the wedding party that you are cooking for them that is what we do.

Hybrid Cooker
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 16 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony and KAM, Thanks, I think the same way. I done this before for a belated reception (the couple got married in Bahamas) But that one I knew almost everyone there. This is just enough different that I wanted advice from those who have been there.

Mbellot- autocorrect can get you every time Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Hope I didn't jinx them.

My first marriage, shortly after the wedding, I introduced her as "my first wife" instead of wife. Didn't live that down until the divorce. Maybe I should have had a reversal dinner afterwards.

Laughing

Thanks y'all
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 19 16 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how this could be considered catering any more than all the tailgating you guys in the states do at games. lol

it would just seem to me as two families coming together for a picnic. now the day they start busting family picnics at parks, beaches and backyards is the day ya'll should move to Canada. lmfao

have a great cook and a great day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: