FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question may get a few "boo"s - searing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:28 am    Post subject: Question may get a few "boo"s - searing Reply with quote

I have been reading this a long while and seeing quite a few posts on different techniques, especially on brisket.

Wrap, dont wrap, wrap with foil, wrap with plastic, wrap with butcher paper- in a pan no pan; pretty much every conceivable way.

I had an old timer tell me to sear the brisket for just a few minutes on every side - hot and fast, then kill the heat (or move from a grill to a smoker) and slow cook for hours. Thought process was searing locks in the moisture and sets the bark. Slow smoke, let it cool down in the pit to about 150 ( I now know why the 140), and then bring it in let it rest a "little bit" on the counter - slice serve eat = Very Happy

Did it that way for years, had plenty compliments - great bark, 1/4" or better smoke rings, tasted good (so I am being told) and never thought of it until watching Franklin on PBS and reading in this forum. I tried a few without searing and they were A OK, so I wonder if anyone else ever seared prior to smoke?

Just the wonderings of an old fart with time to post....Very Happy Question

Chris
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Many moons ago way before there was the term "Hot and fast" I was searing briskets and finishing indirect on my big charcoal cooker but not any more.

Hybrid Cooker
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whewww Shocked glad I am not alone and since you have done it too, KAM, I feel even better.
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: